My Marantz CD63SE died

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Marantz CD63SE died (it seems I killed him). As I did some changes in analog filter, the player did not spin the disc, but I fixed it (DAC’s – SM5872 – pin 16 was without supply). A few hours later sound become distorted, and in 20-30 minutes player stopped again. I checked everything I could, everything seems OK, but disc doesn’t spin, just as there is not disc in player. Of course, I am closest to my CDP, but if someone can tell what can be cause of (very) distorted sound, it will be a great help. For those familiar with CD63, I suspect at the DAC and surrounding, and also the surrounding of J103 (ribbon cable’s end at main PCB).

Thanks in advance.

Pedja

hey mine died a few days ago
what did you do to the analog filter just curious maybe i could upgrade mine too
u see what you suspect was familar to me but cd63 uses cdm12 lens. The problem here is that the lens unit is least surviving of all the philips lens unit. Most propably the lens is due for change. I was told by the repair lady that the lens last from 2 to 4 years. Try changing the lens

Thanks, Groman. I’ve spent 7-8 hours trying to find error, but have not had any success.

Nick, this transport is really not robust, and its plastic parts will not last a lifetime. But my machine is more that 5 years old, and I did not have a problems… ‘till now. But when transport dies due to age, it should happen slowly, not in a 30 minutes, and I suppose not coincidentaly after some tweak.

I did many changes in my player, last I swapped LPF’s caps with polystyrene, and planned to short R607-R608 – that means weaker rejection of garbage of outside the audio band, but less of ringing of filter itself – I’m not sure this would be a right thing, but I wanted to try.

BTW, in service mode player shows Err 02 – focus error.

Pedja

Acoustics In My Room

Doesn't really Qualify
as
Digital
But that is what we use, anyway
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A few to start with....

Art Ludwig's Sound Page

Campanella Acoustics FAQ

Acoustics FAQ: a basic primer

Why room setup is important

Room setup without fancy treatment...

...and with fancy treatment, including QRDs

Journey to the centre of a (flat) earth: pinkfishmedia

The Unofficial Naim FAQ

The Naim Forum

The Flat Response

The Naked Truth on audio

Steve Ekblad's Audio web links
--------------------------------------------------------------------

gro

Thanks Andy, I downloaded it a few months ago (special thanks for that), and I checked anything I thought it could have sense, DC voltages are OK, but I don’t have a ‘scope.

About new player? Don’t know, Groman. I still did not quite accept that I lost my 63. Too much time I devoted to it. I did left it aside these two days. It is still possible I have some stupid problem.

Maybe CD4000, maybe CD6000, maybe some older Philips. I must do some tweaks anyway. Maybe CD4000 + external DIY DAC. In that way I could do only several, mainly mechanical tweaks inside the unit, safe way not to kill it :) If I buy CD6000, it is very similar to CD63 and twaked CD63 is very close to what 1-bit technology can achieve at all (I ‘ll not have to learn much to modify it – though, of course, it will be a little prosaic). In this case I can also make external, multibit (time to try non-oversampling) DAC.

Appreciate any suggestion.

Pedja

Marantz malfunctioning

Hi pedja,
I am sorry to hear that your Marantz stopped functioning.
You have a focus error indicating that the lens is not coming in focus. First check when the lens is moving up and down if it is emitting red light. DON'T look straight into it. If there is no red light check for powersupply failures, broken fuse, rotten or loose flexicable etc.
These machines logic are constructed in such a way that nothing will work if a Focus OK signal is not obtained; except in servicemode.
If PS is OK; laserunit is at end of life, KAPUT. Replace by new one.
:cool:

Elso,

Thanks for the reply. Laser does emit the red light in service mode (I did not find a way to set up the lens to see/check it in “normal” mode). I’ve checked PSU and other lines million times I think. Everything is OK. I started to suspect I fried DAC (actually SM5872 is OS filter and DAC). I had a chance to see this player does not spin the disc without digital supply at DAC chip (it has separated supply pins for clock, digital and analog part). My soldering iron in this case was not quite adequate. I moved decoupling cap for digital supply only a few millimetres far from chip itself. Also, I moved almost whole LPF underneath the PCB and some resistors and caps are very close to the DAC chip. I did not solder anything directly to the chip, but PCB traces between were very short. Maybe I should not do it with this soldering iron :rolleyes:

In the meantime I get some recommendation (from the man I can trust) for really good service (with competent and patient servicemen that will not say: you tweaked it? damn, why did you do it? – remember, this is tweaked unit, services usually don’t like them, or at least it is here so). However it is 100km far from me, and transport will last a little. Will post the results. Thanks again.

Pedja

Marantz CD67 also died!

My Marantz CD 67 Se MkII died after just about 20 hours of use.
The disc does not spin . Thanks to Alan (ALW) I downloaded the service manual for the 63 to see if there were any similarities. I used the service mode and got an error 002. This seems to be focus error but the Laser lights up and moves up and down and all supplies seem to be OK. Any suggestions what I should check?I have a scope and other test instruments.
Can I download a service manual for the CD67 anywhere. I tried to buy one but no one seems to be able to supply one.
Thanks.

CD67 test mode results

Hi Pedja and Ergo,
I used the info from the CD63 manual and did some exploring. The CD67 goes into service mode when powered up with stop and play buttons depressed.
By pressing >>| the laser turns on and the lens moves up and down to focus. If I press >>| again the disk starts to rotate. First in the clockwise direction for about 30 degrees and then into high speed in the anti-clockwise direction. Isn't this wrong ? The normal disc rotation is clockwise .
The driver chip for the platter motor on the CD67 is TDA7073A.

Other things I discovered:
In this service mode :
Pressing play gets me Err 02 and then goes out of service mode
Pressing pause gives me a display CD67:10
>>| first time starts the lens bobbing up/down with the laser on
>>| second time starts the disk rotation ( anticlockwise)
>>| third time moves the lens right out to the outermost end of the disk with the disk still spinning.
|<< stops this mode.
>> moves the lens assembly step by step,outward.
<< moves the lens assembly inward , again step by step.

Now that I have some details can anyone help ?
Thanks.

Hi,

Check signal 16 on page 16. The decoder IC SAA7345 controls the spinning of the disk. If the signal is ok, check the amp QM01 (powersupply and out).

If the signal is not ok, work your way back to signal 11 and the 9 towards the source, the diodes receiving the reflected laserbeam
D2 - D4.

My guess is the second option, something wrong with the diodes or the powersupply for the gainstages towards the decoder.

Replacing the diodes would mean replacing the CDM12.1...

Good luck,

Guido

Joined 2006
Paid Member
guido said:
Hi,

Check signal 16 on page 16. The decoder IC SAA7345 controls the spinning of the disk. If the signal is ok, check the amp QM01 (powersupply and out).

If the signal is not ok, work your way back to signal 11 and the 9 towards the source, the diodes receiving the reflected laserbeam
D2 - D4.

My guess is the second option, something wrong with the diodes or the powersupply for the gainstages towards the decoder.

Replacing the diodes would mean replacing the CDM12.1...

Good luck,

Hi

I am having trouble with my CD53 and maybe you could help.

It can read a disk for +-2 minutes and than stops.

In service mode I have the following info:
Mode 0 (P00) - The sled moves outside when pressing CUE REVIEW

Mode 1 (P01) (Focus on) - The lens keeps poping up and down

Mode 2 (P02) (Focus and sindle on) - The disc turns

Mode 3 (P03) (Focus spindle radial on) - The sled moves outside by itself and the lens keeps poping up and down and the discs spins 1/2sec to the right 1/2 sec to the left intermitently.

When in Mode 0, if I press play, I get Err10

Can you please suggest a corrective action ?

What is the most probable cause of this misbehaviour ?

Regards

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.