My Latest Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm as far as what appears to be crazily booming bass and lower mids, I believe I read somewhere that in room measurements like this aren't accurate under 200hz, which would make sense because it shows its very flat after 200hz. Clearly the mic has some issues here because there's no way I'm getting that HIGH SPL in relation to the rest of the frequencies at 20hz.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There must be an issue with the mic, because 10dB down after 200Hz would sound leaden to anybody. Good thing is we don't see cancellations at crossover frequencies. That pc mic measurement works more like a defect check than a FR plot.

P.S. 10 - 20kHz is 'air' and not piercing stuff. That stuff is 4-8k. They say only above 200Hz is accurate when they talk pseudo anechoic with gated MLS stimulus. They mean that under 200Hz is not corresponding to anechoic. They splice very near to the woofer measurement there so to see it as in anechoic.
With a calibrated system and Pink or MLS, what you see way down is what you get in a given room. Anechoic tries to get the room out of the equation, so to isolate and study the system more surely. A commercial system will end up in many different rooms.

Yeah, I can't wait to get a real mic, clearly the PC mic has some issues, I know for a fact that it doesn't sound heavy at all, no boom at all.
I see what you mean by 4-8khz sounding piercing, and I know most people refer to 10-20khz as air but if I listen to lets say a 19khz sine wave, I just get the weirdest sensations in my throat and inside the ear. Maybe its just me.

However I am curious if an impulse measurement I did holds any merit with the same microphone. I don't really know how to interpret these exactly...

Attachments

• 1 m impulse.jpg
    1 m impulse.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 345
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is the Impulse response of one of the most time coherent loudspeakers. Quad ESL-63. Got it from Stereophile. Its close to textbook, and clearly the one from the pc mic has no initial rise and a tail, as we get to see in speaker measurements albeit with different ringing and polarity jumps. That mic has issues. Shows a cluster of ringing and then a tight both positive and negative spike and a very short tail. But on the other hand I don't know how it is measuring in Gotham City! :smash:

Attachments

• screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 307
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.