My fullrange collection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello quynhhung, I always wanted to ask these questions to people who collect fullrange speakers?
1. Why do you not have new speakers?
2. What is your favorite sounding fullrange speaker?

And one more thing - there are many youtube videos with recorded speakers they all share the same problem - the quality of recording is very low, perhaps in the future you will make videos with far better audio with these speakers which most of us will never own or hear.

Hello quynhhung, I always wanted to ask these questions to people who collect fullrange speakers?
1. Why do you not have new speakers?
2. What is your favorite sounding fullrange speaker?

And one more thing - there are many youtube videos with recorded speakers they all share the same problem - the quality of recording is very low, perhaps in the future you will make videos with far better audio with these speakers which most of us will never own or hear.
Thank for your question
I and many people see the midrange of fullrange speaker is the best (exspecialy fieldcoil driver). I have some new speaker (dynaudio, avalon...) but they are not sweet than fullrange.
I record video by Nokia camera, so the sound is not good.

Ok, and what about the second question - what is your favorite sounding model of fullrange? (like for example: Western Electric 755a)

I have heard many many fullrange speaker (Germany, USA, UK, Japan..), but I like Germany fullrange best. The fieldcoil speaker is amazing sound (siemens and telefunken is better). I like Zeiss - Siemens speaker. They are very detail and balance, true bass, smooth high. (like Siemen 14g 8", zeiss ikovox 12")

Thank you, anything else you might want to share from experience in collecting speakers? Have you had really bad sounding speakers from the same period as the best? there is this feel that many of those old units were good because that's how they were made back in those days.

Thank for your question
I and many people see the midrange of fullrange speaker is the best (exspecialy fieldcoil driver). I have some new speaker (dynaudio, avalon...) but they are not sweet than fullrange.
I record video by Nokia camera, so the sound is not good.

If you are a mid-head audiophile, try Electro-stats speakers like Quad ESL 57 or maybe some Statics headphone. I hear no dynamic speaker could get the lively, low-distortion sounding level of Electro-stats, even very expensive field-coil.

If you are a mid-head audiophile, try Electro-stats speakers like Quad ESL 57 or maybe some Statics headphone. I hear no dynamic speaker could get the lively, low-distortion sounding level of Electro-stats, even very expensive field-coil.
Thank "Bác" VuGia. I have heard Electro tweeter but I have not ever heard ESL 57. I collect fullrange speaker only, I will hear Electro speaker.
Thank for your suggestion

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You have a nice collection! Great that you can share this with us.

Nostalgia is great, but technology moves on - try a modern one sometime. They can sound very very good and not expensive.

Fane 12-250TC is reported to sound really good.

I personally have a favorite full range that can do bass well: Tang Band W5-2143 in a bass reflex box tuned to 50 to 55Hz. Nice bass, smooth response for all genres of music, and very good balance. Reaches up to 20kHz - no kidding. Use 1mH and 3.3R BSC filter.

Oops! Houston we have a problem! Yesterday I tested in comparative listening some 8-9 speakers to compare with what I would call the best fullrange speaker I have heard (an oval Saba unit with wizzer from the 70-80s) and among the list of speakers there was only one of new generation - Tang Band w52143 - and that came out at the bottom of the list when it comes to how well it sounded... you know why? because all that 20khz story is nowhere to be seen outside the "on axis" in other words the speaker leaves the impression the highs are not enough, but that's not the worst, there is something in the midrange that stands out as not pleasant sounding, reminds me of basement smell or early morning taste in the mouth... and I'm 99 percent sure what it is - it's called the sound of rubber - rubber in the surround and rubber in the back of the cone, in fact the "smooth response" is caused by that hoard of rubber. Bring back the paper surround! It's really that simple! I made experiment with changing surrounds and anything that's soft eats up details, paper fiber is hard and also the lightest. I've seen it in Philips drivers - cloth vs paper - and it's always the same story, when you put gunk in the construction of the speaker you put gunk on the violin cords, in the voices etc. nothing sounds complete anymore, forget about musicality, you get sterile-ity.
Bring back the paper surround!

quynhhung; you could just post a picture of your collection here; it's actually pretty easy to upload directly into your text post - rather than an external link.

I dont know how many times someone had something interesting to say/show and a few years gets past - poof! Gone. Like every picture of an "Omni-Metronome"...

I for one shudder to click on a YouTube link. God - I mean Google - knows what my PC might pick up in addition from there...

Or what they might pick from me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.