My first ufonken build with a unusual Cabinet design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post on here and first build.

Building bespoke Hifi racks for a living I have all the skills/tools to build speakers but for some reason I’ve never done it until now.

My little bedroom system needed something more engaging so I decided to build a pair of little ufonken using the 3” Fostex ff85k full range drivers I acquired secondhand online.

Here’s a few pictures of the build and the final cabinet design. I wanted to shape the cabinet using a number of angular cuts. I accomplished this by over engineering the outside walls allowing them to be heavily shaped without affecting the internal workings/dimensions. I’m really chuffed with how they have turned out and the sound great. Feedback more than welcomed. I really enjoyed the process and certainly will be doing another build (Alpair 10M on their way).

Nice build. The million Dollar question is ... Ho do they sound ?

It’s very early days but given they living in a small inexpensive bedroom set up they are delivering a great sound. I need to improve their positioning with sone form of stand/wall bracket which I’m sure will help them too.

I’d say their strongest quality is the imaging and mid/hf. Bass is modest but I always knew that would be the case give the small driver/enclosure.

Nice.

Chris did something simialr with a pair of Mar-Ken10.

Glad you like them.

dave

Thanks Dave and thank you for all the knowledge/expertise you provide on this forum. As a complete novice to speaker design the build notes were excellent.

I should be receiving my Alpair 10m drivers this week ready to start build 2. I’ve yet to find a bookshelf transmission line design for the 10.3 driver, is this because it either won’t work or have I just not found the design yet? I need them to go in a front ported bookshelf cabinet as they will become my workshop speakers. Alas I don’t have room for a floorstander in the workshop but I still want robust bass hence my desire to find a 10.3 TL design.

I should be receiving my Alpair 10m drivers this week ready to start build 2. I’ve yet to find a bookshelf transmission line design for the 10.3 driver, is this because it either won’t work or have I just not found the design yet?

I've done one, but it's in the queue as a paid planset so it isn't drawn up yet.

I need them to go in a front ported bookshelf cabinet as they will become my workshop speakers. Alas I don’t have room for a floorstander in the workshop but I still want robust bass hence my desire to find a 10.3 TL design.

Two points there. The first is minor: tapered TLs do not have ports as such, they have line termini. The second is more significant. TLs & their variations do not automatically have 'robust bass'. In fact, a pure TL, which is designed to provide the flattest possible impedance load with zero other considerations, usually has relatively little bass gain.

That aside, variations on the QW theme can indeed provide very decent LF, but for your purposes, I wouldn't discount a vented box. They have a poor reputation in some circles because of the large number of badly designed examples. That's OK: just use a properly designed one. ;) Then it's fine. Depending on positioning, you may also be fine with a rear vent, be it a line terminus or a duct. There's usually some space to the front wall for binding posts etc. and again, it's a myth that they will automatically cause severe triggering of room modes. It depends on the alignment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.