My first solo speaker effort!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, after a while on here and some fumbling around, I finally bit the bullet and got started on my first solo-designed speaker project.

I had dug up a pair of Dynaudio MW-160's and Focal T120KF's, and decided to try and put them to use as a first experiment. After some scouring the 'net, I ran across WinISD and started to create the box and crossovers in this program -- my results are as follows:

(Attached views of the program, starting with the vented and sealed projects)

Attachments

• speakerinfo.jpg
    speakerinfo.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 403
Now, I know these probably aren't the best combo of drivers, but they're what I've got. I'm thinking I'll stick with the sealed box right now, as I've got a pair of boxes that should work (just /slightly/ under the quoted sealed volume). I just need to route the original driver holes to fit the new ones and I should be off and running.

My question is, do any of you have some comments on the crossover design for this? I'm really kinda flying by the seat of my pants for those :D

Anyway, I should have the crossovers up and running this weekend, and I'll post some more pics in this thread as I go.

(attached a pic of the boxes I plan to test the sealed crossover with)

Attachments

• test-boxes.jpg
    test-boxes.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 432
I decided to attach a pic of my main system with some information about it:

It's a pair of floorstanding sealed Seas Excel speakers, using the Excel tweeter, and 6.5" woofers in a sealed box, with a nice 8" sub on the bottom backside for the low end. The crossovers were done by Orcadesign (I *think*, these were bought as custom-sort-of-kits from Zalytron and they said they we're making these crossovers custom), and the sub is crossed in at 60Hz. They have great imaging and soundstage, with excellent bass extension (I rarely use a sub). The amplification is an Arcam AVR200 with a Meridian 586.2 DVD player for source.

I'm quite happy with this system, but I'm starting to get the desire to create something entirely my own, so I'm starting here :)

Attachments

• original-system.jpg
    original-system.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 447
Hmm...I've been looking around for some of these odd capacitor/inductor values the crossover designer came up with, and I'm unsure if I should buy ones that are approx. values or not, ie: a .35 inductor instead of .36, 23 uf cap instead of 22.508, etc. So far I've been looking at partsexpress, is that a good place to be shopping?

copper said:
Hmm...I've been looking around for some of these odd capacitor/inductor values the crossover designer came up with, and I'm unsure if I should buy ones that are approx. values or not, ie: a .35 inductor instead of .36, 23 uf cap instead of 22.508, etc. So far I've been looking at partsexpress, is that a good place to be shopping?

approxiamte values are fine... parts of tolerances FAR over the idfferences you're talking about

approxiamte values are fine... parts of tolerances FAR over the idfferences you're talking about

Cool, thanks :)

I also saw that partsexpress has some premade crossovers at the range I was thinking of, are those any good? Anyway, I'm going to do the vented ones first actually, with some cabinets from there.

Also, does anyone have some comments on the focal tweeter? I've not been able to find much on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.