My first simple mains conditioner/surge protection:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switch-mode power supplies are alternative choice for component source :) Typically incudes everything else exept MOV¨s , some higher quality units have also MOVs. With great luck filters and MOVs are on separate board that you can bolt-on to almost any desing. Or be creative and use hacksaw to remove filter section from main pcb. :)

Upgraded version:

Here I go again, dedicated to our friends, the UCD fans, and to everyone in general I propose an AC-DC filter, a chimera from various designs. Surelly you will recognize the first part wich is a DC filter already commented on other threads. After that is a BIG "EI" isolation trafo followed by the modded gatekeeper. Each one is free to try his preferred surge protection device.

I haven't build it yet but I bet it will sound good. :cool:
I've tried the filter without the Tx and the Tx alone (2:1 to be honest ;) ) and I found them very worthwhile.
I don't want to extend on this to avoid scaring the non-believers among you.

I expect some positive criticism here. What do you think about a center taped Tx to make balanced secondaries?

Please refer to previous posts to find RS-components' part numbers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I hope the image is good.

Well, I hope you like it :D

Best wishes to you all for the new year :drink:
I'm planning a party for tomorrow with my big, filtered, active UCD180 system :D :cheers: :cheers:
Like the french say in their elegant manner: "pour épater le bourgeois"

Cheers everybody!
Mauricio

Update:

Well, based on ClassD4sure's advice I took off both Y2 caps and the sound improved IMO. The problem is that Y2 caps send noise to ground and that can be heard, apparently, surtout with classD amps, it seems.
So, I recommend not to install Y2 caps.
What is the difference between my filter and original gatekeeper. Almost none safe the inductor cores wich in my version are "shotgun" type wich might be better.

As for the DC blocking section I can't say the famous circuit works. I tested with a big "EI" Tx and all i could hear is a lower hum and a shorter "twaaang" when I power it :D
Could I have more than 0.7VDC on mains?
My other equipment are silent.

I have not found any iso transformer yet :(

Anyone, other than myself, tried this cheap filter?

Regards
Mauricio

Well there's a question.

Just a few thoughts.

Comparing with transformer connected balanced interconnects.
We find that the balanced transformer does not transmit the DC across the link.
The same may be happening with your;- mains - ei - toroid setup.

The DC is absorbed by the EI and not passed to the toroid. The toroid is now quiet as you have found. The EI is relatively unaffected by DC and is also silent. Eureka.

Anybody agree?

Dear Andrew:

I think you're right in what you say and this will be my way of doing things when I get the big iso-TX's.

Just to clarify, in my present setup the EI-TX is used only to power the transport, wich has switching PS (a good thing to do, I believe) and the other units are connected through separate "AC-DC" filters. That's why I ask this science-fiction question :D

Anyway, as I said, I can't hear music without mains filter now. I would be glad if somebody try it also. I hope the last version of the filter, but without Y caps, will be great. :angel:

Regards
M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.