My DIY ES9018K2M DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just successfully diy an es9018k2m dac....

DAC working in power on default I2S and voltage out mode, powered by single 5V with three 3.3v LDO for digital, analog and 50MHz XO.

Simple and good sound.

Attachments

• k2m1.jpg
    k2m1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,780
  • k2m2.jpg
    k2m2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 2,691
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only partially works:

I2S - plays DXD 352.8K, 44.1K -192K without problem with my XMOS USB I2S converter.

DSD - not sure, my XMOS converter can not play DSD.

SPDIF & optical - still figuring out a working circuit.

The grounding of this proto board is not good enough, and the Mute function seems not working. Some noise comes out from the speakers when volume knob turns beyond 12'o clock.

The ES9018K2M full data sheet looks like a programming reference guide, contains very little hardware design reference info.

ps. Not a native English speaker, sorry for my bad English.

Thank you - your English is good, I understand perfectly.

I built a board up with ES9018 (the 8-channel one).

I found some output noise with voltage-output mode, too. In place of the opamp-driven reconstruction filter, I used a cap directly across the output phases, and this improved it very much.

This method is Joe Rasmussen's:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...iscussions-upgrading-mods-14.html#post3743000

I think it should be 100nF - 110nF for the ES9018K2M, and Panasonic ECHU was the type I have tried. SMD film caps are best, since much of the effect is due to reducing ultrasonic and switching noise, and keeping this from getting to the analogue sections.

Now fully working......

I2S - plays DXD 352.8K, 44.1K -192K PCM without problem

SPDIF - upto 192K PCM, uses LMV7219 based circuit from ES9018 ref desgin

Optical - upto 96K PCM

DSD - plays Native DSD64 very good, but with some background noise when playing Native DSD256

Time to design the PCB, and fix the noise problem............

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_100918.jpg
    IMG_20140906_100918.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,259
The ES9018K2M full data sheet looks like a programming reference guide, contains very little hardware design reference info.

Without violating the NDA, I can tell that a 9018K2M is basically a quarter of a ES9018, ie 2 channels instead of 8. VDD supply voltage is a bit different. Pinout is very different (easier to layout). The rest seems quite similar. Any output stage or IV designed for 9018 should work well on its little brother. I have plans of doing a board for it.

Thank you - your English is good, I understand perfectly.

I built a board up with ES9018 (the 8-channel one).

I found some output noise with voltage-output mode, too. In place of the opamp-driven reconstruction filter, I used a cap directly across the output phases, and this improved it very much.

This method is Joe Rasmussen's:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...iscussions-upgrading-mods-14.html#post3743000

I think it should be 100nF - 110nF for the ES9018K2M, and Panasonic ECHU was the type I have tried. SMD film caps are best, since much of the effect is due to reducing ultrasonic and switching noise, and keeping this from getting to the analogue sections.

Hi .
I also read what Joe wrote but still kind of confuse , does it mean to cross the cap from the + side to the - side or =side to gnd and neg side to gnd using 100nf-110nf? Some diagram will help.

Thanks

1. My PCB version of ES8018K2M dac works without background noise at 3 o'clock volume.

2. The BCK, LRCK, DATA pin of ES9018K2M are very sensitive to nearby SIGNAL PIN/ PCB TRACE / WIRING CONNECTION.

If you use the BCK for SPDIF input, then connect the LRCK & DATA pin to GND via a 47K resistor.

Using the GPIO i2s connections....?

Hi - has anyone managed to get the ES9018K2M Dac (I'm using a chinese sourced board) working directly with the RPi GPIO i2s pins? I get it working on some inputs (through Moode - e.g. radio and 24/88 from NAS) but lots of noise and distortion on other inputs. I'm not keen on putting another link in the chain (USB to i2s Xmos etc) unless I have to. Thanks Adrian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.