My discrete voltage regulator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russ,I have no intention to hijack the thread,but short off topic Q:
recommendation for SuperDuperCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSXccccSSScccSSSS BOSOZ from another thread regarding volume pot ?

on input (and values)

OR
on output (and values)

??

I have no time for reinventing the wheel about that and I know that ppl here are investigating that already...... too many posts in not so small number of related threads......

tnx

Zen Mod said:
Russ,I have no intention to hijack the thread,but short off topic Q:
recommendation for SuperDuperCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSXccccSSScccSSSS BOSOZ from another thread regarding volume pot ?

on input (and values)

OR
on output (and values)

??

I have no time for reinventing the wheel about that and I know that ppl here are investigating that already...... too many posts in not so small number of related threads......

tnx

Terry is more the expert on that amp, but I will do my best.

Funny thing. This VREG will be tested on just that preamp!!

With the amp circuit and PS as it is presented, the amp always sounds better with an attenuator on output. anything from 2.5K or higher input impedance is just grand. I used a stepped attenuator with 750R output impedance and an input impedance that varies from about 2.5K to about 5K.

I am hoping that with a new PS that amp may sound better with the attenuator on the input side. I think part of the reason you get hiss with it in that configuration right now is that is does not have very high PSRR. The input impedance of the amp is fairly high so I bet you could use a 20-50K pot/attenuator without a problem.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi,
no one has directed Russ to the WJung site where in collaboration with JDidden he wrote a (definitive) series of articles on opamp regulated PSUs including the super regulator.

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Low_Noise_...og_Circuits.pdf
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/IC_Regulated_Power.pdf
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Regs_for_High_Perf_Audio_1.pdf
http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Regulator_...e_Rejection.pdf
http://www.alw.audio.dsl.pipex.com/...v2.9_iss009.pdf

Russ,
all you didn't know that you needed is in there.

First thanks to all for the valuable input. What a great group on this forum.

Ok, so I simulated my circuit, and it seems to be OK, but I am also wanting a series regulator for lighter loads.

What do you guys think about this puppy. It a simple series VREG but with a capacitance multiplier in front of the pass device.

R7 is there simply to help keep some small current flowing. It would be a high value.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• mr1.sch.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 250
Originally posted by Russ White
With the amp circuit and PS as it is presented, the amp always sounds better with an attenuator on output. anything from 2.5K or higher input impedance is just grand. I used a stepped attenuator with 750R output impedance and an input impedance that varies from about 2.5K to about 5K.
I concur with Russ' recommendation. I have a stepped attenuator built with 10K impedance, and I find that if the input impedance of the amp it is driving is less than 20K then the music starts to lose a little life. THat being said, it still does a good job driving the GC Susy amp which only has a 2K input impedance.

Russ,

Great work with the regulator. I agree that the pre may benefit from a better power supply, and I have been investigating along that path as well. I would also recommend giving a read through the Blowtorch Thread where they talk about the benefits of a series reg followed by a shunt reg to achieve great noise rejection across a very wide bandwidth. You might find some gems there as well.

PS. How's the DAC coming. Need a beta tester???

Cheers, Terry

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Russ White said:
First thanks to all for the valuable input. What a great group on this forum.

Ok, so I simulated my circuit, and it seems to be OK, but I am also wanting a series regulator for lighter loads.

What do you guys think about this puppy. It a simple series VREG but with a capacitance multiplier in front of the pass device.

R7 is there simply to help keep some small current flowing. It would be a high value.

Cheers!
Russ

I like the idea of the cap multiplier before the reg, I haven't seen that beofre. I think it is more cost-effective than a full swing prereg.

One point: feeding the opamp from the output of the prereg gives a but more performance.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

One point: feeding the opamp from the output of the prereg gives a but more performance.

Jan Didden

Hi Jan, and thanks.

It's funny you say that, because I first drew the circuit that way, but I was worried about the slow rise of the voltage after the multiplier, and possible negative effects that might have. If it would not have any negative effects, then I will definitely put it back that way. :)

Cheers!
Russ

First VREG tested. :)

Here is the basic circuit... Some parts are not exactly the same, but here is what the simulation looks like... The opamp is OPA227 and the transistors are ZTX450s.

I built it as a 5V supply, and built 3 of them to test on an existing preamp. It is working quite well. :cool:

Here is the circuit as simulated.

Attachments

• draft3.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 246
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.