Music Server with Improved Apple Airport Express

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are those black and red wires, is this AE power?
Blue and white - are they opened w/o any screen at all?

You are right. The black/red wires are the 3.3V power rail.

The clock wires are twisted and very short. The clock module is placed near the AAE as close as possible. I have also tried the coaxial cable, but the difference is insignificant.

Hi Nisbeth,

Yes, I surely did. The datasheet however doesn't provide much info about the spdif output (ie. couldn't find impedance value for dout).

While a complete noob here I think I can make for a simple divider and pulse transformer stage. My question however was specifically related to the airport express and OP post as it may have been tried and tested a while back (Jan 2009).

Thank,
RUi

I read other article that they are use 50mhz , does 25mhz work?
and where to buy the clock ?

thanks

I would like to share my experience on upgrading the clock for AAE.

There are two SMT 25Mhz crystals under the AAE PCB. The one closer to the IC 88F6183 is about audio.
I removed this crystal (marked as Y700 on the PCB) and its load capacitors (C700 & C701) from the PCB.

RIMG11564.JPG

And then, I soldered a blue wire to the clock input pad on the PCB and the white wire to the GND on the board.

RIMG11507.JPG

Finally, the blue wire was connected to the clock output, and the white wire was connected to the clock ground. As a starting point, the clock currently used is a common 25MHz XO supplied by a regulator based on The Flea.

After this modification, the resulting sound is more smooth, more fluidly, and more liveness.
I am planning to try more clocks for the AAE.
TCXO with The Flea and Kwak Clock 7 will be tested in the future.

Simple and effective. Highly recommended.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.