• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Music Angel Modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been following a few threads about modifying the Music Angel XDSE KT88 and it appears that a few relatively basic modifications to the triode/pentode switch and the input board can give worthwhile improvements.

The only problem is I'm incompetent (or perhaps incontinent?) and need to pay someone to do this for me....Changing the valves I can handle, but re-biasing and changing resistors/capacitors is a step too far.

I live in Stamford (N Cambs/S.Lincs). Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks...

There are a few existing threads here discussing some modifications and tweaks of the Music Angel El34 and KT88 amplifiers. There are however no conclusive circuit modifications that are guaranteed to produce a better amplifier - to everybody's taste.

Report from a number of owners are that this XDSE800 version with KT88 is sounding quite good as-is, but it can benefit from some tube rolling. The supplied small tubes seem to be old, but worn. Changing the 12AT7 seem to have most effect.
Replace the 12AT7 with some good NOS tubes, for example Siemens ecc801s/e81cc, or maybe some Mullard?
The Shuguang KT88 tubes supplied are quite good.

One electrical modification that is recommended, is to make sure that preotective earth from the power input is connected to the chassis. This is often missing on these amps.

SveinB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.