Multimeters for Hobbyist

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh I wish there were a way of closing this thread... now I'm second/third guessing :D

Ordered that PeakMeter... Googled and Janisa owns or is owned by Peakmeter, and probably branded as Peakmeter just the listing said Janisa but noticed photos said Peakmeter. I think the difference between the two I posted is that one was a newer model that dropped the HFE test and replaced it with the Hz% button.

But, someone said it isn't autoranging because (and makes sense) you have to select ratings on the dial (so maybe one of those auto/manual deals) and when I posted the pic of the insides, the response wasn't too great. So, when it arrives today, I guess I send it back. Also misleading... photos of the LCD all show a bluetooth/usb icon and apparently it has neither.

Ordered the UNI-T UT139C off eBay last night. Seller was in China, but sold 613 of these units, 99.7% positive feedback rating, so... ordered there. Sadly, ETA is Aug 22 - Sept 26. :S

I'm sure, at my current skill level, both probably do more than what I'll need. But, I'd rather buy what's recommended by people who know more than me. :D If in my budget... again I understand the idea of buying good quality tools, but only after I see if it's a hobby I'll stick with.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Having quality tools and instruments is perhaps the most important when you are just getting started. Just as a 50 cent screwdriver will strip out the toughest screws, a cheap voltmeter will lie to you when it sees glitches and other anomalies. When the skill and experience set is low, new techs will end up chasing their tails and give up early. The problem remains a mystery and everything stalls.

The real question is how much is your time and frustration worth? After some time under the hood, a level of tenacity and confidence is instilled that makes a huge difference in the level of success. Just because you are not earning a living in electronics doesn't mean you should use the cheapest tools you can find.

I cannot recall how many times I've been summoned by buddies that had reached their wits end on a project or repair, just to find it was the tools they were using that were the main problem. I cannot stress how important it is to have a few certain tools that can be trusted way beyond their intended purpose. A voltmeter is one of them, as is a reliable power supply. Jumpers, leads and probes are another crucial category of device that is often skimped on at first. A connection isn't a connection if it doesn't connect.

Yup... I get it... again, my car tools and wood working tools are top notch, because it's something I've done for years.

That's why posted for advice on a multimeter... I knew I wanted something that will work and have the functions I need, but at the same time, running out and buying $1000 worth of tools (meter, solder station, etc) then in 6 months I'm bored with it and don't want to do it anymore, then how much sense would there have been spending all that money? The money lost selling them as used would be more than I'm spending now. :D

Basically.... as a beginner... plan is to buy something good that works. If the hobby takes off, upgrade and keep as a spare. If the hobby doesn't take off, it'll still get used on the car so not a total waste of money.

Then maybe I'll grab one of those big table top units... which I guess I actually do have. When my dad passed away he had a lot of higher end test equipment. Problem is, when my folks moved 10yrs ago, most of the stuff was boxed up and not labelled and some sold or given away... if I can find it, it's mine... but... only "if".

If memory serves me correct, looking at Google images, it looked like a Fluke 8010A.

Yup... I get it... again, my car tools and wood working tools are top notch, because it's something I've done for years.

That's why posted for advice on a multimeter... I knew I wanted something that will work and have the functions I need, but at the same time, running out and buying $1000 worth of tools (meter, solder station, etc) then in 6 months I'm bored with it and don't want to do it anymore, then how much sense would there have been spending all that money? The money lost selling them as used would be more than I'm spending now. :D

Basically.... as a beginner... plan is to buy something good that works. If the hobby takes off, upgrade and keep as a spare. If the hobby doesn't take off, it'll still get used on the car so not a total waste of money.

Then maybe I'll grab one of those big table top units... which I guess I actually do have. When my dad passed away he had a lot of higher end test equipment. Problem is, when my folks moved 10yrs ago, most of the stuff was boxed up and not labelled and some sold or given away... if I can find it, it's mine... but... only "if".

If memory serves me correct, looking at Google images, it looked like a Fluke 8010A.

Most modern handheld meters are better than the Fluke 8010A benchmeter. Many collect items like that, but for everyday use, a modern handheld is MUCH better.

Also, it is smart to ease into it. Firgure out what you want to do, want to learn, etc. Then budget your purchases accordingly. As long as you have a certain baseline of quality and safety (as well as knowledge of the limitations of your equipment) then you will be fine.

Last edited:
The big table top thing you want to buy is an o- scope when you're ready for it. I have no doubt that I will have one forever and ever. Someone will sell it or throw it out after I die. Until then, I will have one.

The eBay meter came in the mailbox today. It's a little dirty on the outside, but nothing a little soap and water won't cure. Working just like my old one does when the battery terminals spring enough. Grand total of $30.94 US. I might just solder a battery clip onto the old one and give it to my son.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
@ OP,

Here ya go, this Fluke meter meets your budgetary constraints.

Fluke 21 Meter: LINK

Good luck.

Thanks but, already ordered the one off Amazon that I returned 10min after receiving and ordered the other off eBay, the UNI-T UT139C.

and I swear, whenever I see Uni-T... I get that Dave Chappelle skit stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toAEQTsidvg

I just saw your ultimate bargain at walmart yesterday. It had a clicky knob, backlight, non-autoranging, dmm with wingding functions galore. Included in the package was a hot wire pencil and a receptacle tester that you just plug into the wall and it tells you what's wrong. The set was under $20, and you wouldn't even have to wait for it to arrive in the mail!

I didn't mention: I like fieldpiece meters, too...

Well... my meter is on it's way from the mystic land of China...exotic, huh?

Not sure where it is now though, the tracking numbers are always useless as soon as it leaves the country.

I'm sure we have am analog one (with the needle, correct?) but again, they shoved stuff into boxes (many many boxes) and could spend a week searching and never find it.

Probably find it when looking for something else. :D

I have few different meters here.

Tektronix Bench meter for the bench
Fluke Digital handheld fro GP use
Heathkit Vacuum Tube Voltmeter for High Impedance
Radio Shack Analog for GP use

Plus a Cheap Digital that I use for "close enough measurements"

Meters tend to be like shoes, the nice ones fro when it counts and the dirty jobs one.

I have few different meters here.

Tektronix Bench meter for the bench
Fluke Digital handheld fro GP use
Heathkit Vacuum Tube Voltmeter for High Impedance
Radio Shack Analog for GP use

Plus a Cheap Digital that I use for "close enough measurements"

Meters tend to be like shoes, the nice ones fro when it counts and the dirty jobs one.
Interesting that you kept the VTVMs around, most Heathkit VTVMs only had 11 Megaohm input impedance. Most newer bench meters will handily beat that and most older bench meters and handhelds will match it.

Last edited:
When I decided that I need another multimeter, I went the complicated way and did a lot of "research".

When you start looking for a "good" multimeter (mm), there are lot's of people recommending a Uni-T. And just for the reason that it wasn't on stock, I looked further.

My creteria changed to:
1: Safety!
2: Reliability
3: Functions
4: Price

Because the first reason don't buy a mm from Uni-T. If you want to check your voltage in your house, you have 230V (or 115V) and lot's of amperes. If there is a fault in the meter, it get's quicker dangerous than you feel the heat in your hands.
To cut a long story short:
(for people from the US: You can buy a used Fluke MM, if you have pactience, you can get a good deal.)
The other option:
Brymen Multimeters. They do the development of some top notch products for the big brands. They are safe and robust and cheaper than the big brands. Quality has it's price, so they are more expensive than Uni-T meters and others, but they also are a different league!
When you have problems to find Brymen meters: Greenlee is relabeling some Brymen meters, see this thread: USA - how to purchase Brymen DMM (Greenlee brand or other) - Page 1

I own a Gossen Metrawatt (Dave seems to get orgasmic feelings in one of his videos because of the switch and the overall build quality of these (German build) meters.)
Also the Brymen 869s, and cheaper (40Euro) Uni-T (I forgot the model). You cannot compare one detail of them, also not the cables. Ah, forgot, and I know the 827s from a friend. Some quality than mine!
These meters are for sure more expensive, but you'll get an instrument what does what it's constructed for: measure repeatedly correctly in a safe way.
Cheers,
Matthias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.