Multicore cable for DIN interconnects?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That Cricklewood one has a single screen for all four conductors. Is it better practice for DIN, or easier for certain splitter cables, to have the individually screened conductors as Kay Pirinha suggests was the norm? I can imagine having a DIN to phono cable where the braid would have to be split in order to get to each plug, leaving some unshielded.

Van Damme make cables for the pro market.
As such they are high quality & sensible, not Audiophool prices.
Very flexible & thus nice to use.

Note the above Blue Series Studio Grade UP-OFC pre-jacketed multicore has twin shielded conductors intended for balanced use.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If its oxygen-free copper its snake oil by definition!! Unless you are seriously worried about performance in cryogenic, vacuum or hot-hydrogen or steam environments standard annealed electrical grade copper is all you need.

A man has to be very bored to respond to a 4 month old post. It's also major league unhelpful to not offer an alternative that meets their particular world view....

I'm back again, and still making cables! All this lockdown does funny things, doesn't it?

In the end I decided a reel was worth it. It doesn't take up much space, actually. I was imagining something like an oil drum.

I've just made some interconnects from CBBR4161. The individual screening is handy for taking each conductor to a phono plug, but I've had to get creative with heatshrink to cover the floppy thin exposed cables that look a little weedy coming out of the plugs. I don't think they're going to break though. Here's one I've just finished for a friend - playback and record for a Uher CR 210.

The same cable worked fine for a DC interconnect where I paralleled the conductors for a larger copper area. They were all inside the same DIN plug so there wasn't the heatshrink issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_022038.jpg
    IMG_20210131_022038.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 117
I've not found an easy way to do this it just takes ages to do this to ensure the screening and individual cables carry through, I should have platted hair......

I have used individual Belden 8412 with screening to 4 pins connecting inputs to naim processor, if you are careful and plan it its not difficult tbh. Old post I know :cool:

Attachments

• 056F86B0-621C-4431-AD61-3943933EC7C1.jpg
    056F86B0-621C-4431-AD61-3943933EC7C1.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 484972B8-AFA5-4462-B10E-55588293846E_1_201_a.jpg
    484972B8-AFA5-4462-B10E-55588293846E_1_201_a.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 92
That's a neat cable! I'm about to set to making a few of the Uher adaptor cables mentioned in their manuals. Locking microphone leads etc. I'll use your pictures as a reference to make it look 'meant'. I think most of mine so far look a bit bodged, even if they are solid and electrically spot-on. There are so many little tips and tricks to do with getting things tidy (after worrying about making sure the right parts of the connector are on the wire before soldering)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.