Multi-purpose tube amp (line and guitar inputs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In this particular case i've hooked up one tube onto a professional 120VDC power supply, not the power supply from my schematic.. But I think i know what's causing this, the ground of the heater wasn't connected to the ground of the power supply.. Silly me.
I'm going to add a grid stopper (1k) as well and decrease the grid resistance from 1M to 100K... Good idea?

Aha :)

Lowering a grid resistor is almost always a good idea. There is the issue of noise, and HF response and overload recovery that a small resistor fixes. However, pre stages don't typically overload, and line level stages are not overly critical about noise. In a pre stage, a major consideration is the load a grid resistor puts on the previous stage, and lighter loading can mean lower distortion.

Small update:

Finally I've found a way of building (ie. finding something to mount on).. I'm using an aluminum panel (2mm) on top of a wooden box which contains the transformers and capacitors.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

^Test fitting the components^

I've sand-blasted the aluminium panel to cover up some minor scratches, the matte appearance looks cool. All I have to do now is mounting every thing in place, wiring the whole bit up and install two switches (filament and B+). How about earthing? I'm using a star-ground, one earth point that is.. Should I connect it to the PE of my mains connector (and the aluminium as well)?

This is looking good :up:

There are many schools of thought re grounding, YMMV. Here are some w/p's I have found interesting in the past.
http://www.sonic.net/~ktstrain/Groundtutor.htm
http://www.aikenamps.com/StarGround.html

I think you should use heavy wire for collective ground runs. I have found that whilst using 2.5mm solid copper, putting my cro leads across this wire at two points 150mm apart will show a tiny but noticeable current.

:up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.