• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mullard ECC82 made by RFT - Real or Fake?!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:up:

My shack is too small, so this is at my office. The blank plates hide the antenna cables. I ran out of money building the office and never put up the antennas!

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_103534.jpg
    IMG_20180412_103534.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 154
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
RFT was an OEM supplier to many Western brands in the last few years before they finally closed up shop.

I purchased countless (around 50 matched pairs) of plain white box skinny bottle Mullard branded EL34 in the late 1980s early 1990s that I think I recall were made by Tesla. I knew when I bought them that they were not made by Mullard, but they were comparatively inexpensive, sounded good and caused little trouble. (They were fairly reliable)

Country of origin listed was typically GB or Germany for this category of tubes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes Tungsram was the one! Not sure why I remembered Tesla...

Not as good as the original Mullards if they were in good shape, but far better than end of life tubes.

They were very inexpensive at time when the only other economical choice really was Chinese, and those tubes failed with alarming regularity..

Struggling business and all.

Its obviously not a mitcham plant mallard, but I see on sold UK e-pay listings that they can go for a whopping 12-15 pounds. This excludes all exotic variants such as square getter, old long plate, or box plate cv4003 versions. Sure there are some 'buy it now' sales for more, but this just shows that fools abound.

You won't get rich by trying to fake a mallard ecc82 with a perfectly fine and excellent quality RFT. Maybe it was somebody's idea of a joke, etc. but I doubt it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.