• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mullard 5-20 KT88 PP blocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Aw gee, now I'm getting all enthused about building this again, just when car insurance and hockey registration are due. Damn, I'll never have the money to order those stupid output transformers. Time to dig out the BOM and see what else I need -- that I can afford.

..Todd

Last edited:
Well, you're more than welcome to audition. I'm in Portland, not too far from McMinnville, in fact I was there this weekend to see the air museum where the Spruce Goose is housed. What an AMAZING airplane. Hard to tell from the pictures, but just unbelivable when you're standing under it gazing up at the tail - has to be several stories high.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but just unbelivable when you're standing under it gazing up ... - has to be several stories high.

Oh, I guess you weren't referring to your Avatar. Still, that hairline is pretty high!:D

With Steves help I spent the day loading the credit card with parts from Mouser, Digikey and Parts Connexion. With the Edcors already on order, All I need is the fundage for the Hammond 1650R OPTs and it's Game On!

As it happens, yes a fun update: Notice today from Edcor that the power transformers are on their way! I think that pretty much completes all necessary parts so it is now time to start laying out the chassis for machining. Over the last few weeks, having had lots of think time on the design, I keep having this nagging idea that, without too much work, this could be adapted for a pair of 300Bs on the output instead of KT88's, but I'm trying to resist that thought.... KT88's it is.

While I was at the sawmill this morning, picking out the cherry for the amps chassis', I missed Fedex with the Edcors power transformers.

Not 5 minutes after I returned from my Mt Bike ride just now, here's UPS with the Gold Lion KT-88s, M Cap ZN coupling caps and the few remaining PRP resistors. BTW, Parts Connexion is an absolutely first-rate supplier in terms of customer service. When I didn't respond immediately to their e-mail asking for confirmation of my shipping choice, they called me on the phone so the parts would get out quickly. From Canada. Amazing!

Tracking tells me the Hammond 1650Rs will arrive Friday and the parts procurement phase will be over :)

If lovely parts make a great-sounding amp (they don't), the Gold Lions will be amazing. They're not just pretty; the quality of the physical construction is really impressive.

I've made up my mind to make a simpler cherry wood box than in the past, black anodize the top plate and use VT4C's silver towers to keep the tubes from 3 year old fingers.

Hope to be done in time to make the first play the Thanksgiving Classic "Alice's Restaurant"

I keep having this nagging idea that, without too much work, this could be adapted for a pair of 300Bs on the output instead of KT88's,

I had that thought about 10 years ago, maybe more. The result was called the 300Beast. It was a push pull 300B amp that made about 25 to 30 watts and was one of my favorite amps. It was made with junk quality parts but defied common sense with excelent sound. A few years ago it blew up with the smell of electrolytic cap stink. One of the photoflash caps in the power supply shorted frying the diodes. It has been awaiting a rebuild for a while now. I have been experimenting with different driver circuits and different output tubes too. The 307A is another good choice. Triode wired they sound like a 300B, or pentoded with Schade feedback, they rock. UL, just doesn't seem to work well though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.