MTM vs. two-way.........

dantwomey

Paid Member
2002-02-20 10:28 pm
Toronto, Canada
What are the theoretical pluses and minuses of a MTM versus the traditional two-way? To expand on this topic even further.......what about the MTM versus a two-way with dual, matched bass/mids? The only thing I can find so far is a blurb about the MTM saying, "The main advantage of the MTM configuration is the control it gives the designer over the polar response behaviour."

Dan :)

If you have the chance to go for an MTM, do it.

-Increased efficiency when wired in parallel (higher SPL)
-Tighter, cleaner, faster bass (each driver only has to do half the work)
-Better dispersion characteristics (debatable)

Although they say its important for the tweeter to be at ear level, I feel its equally important for your midrange drivers to be just as close. (For a standard two way, I prefer my mid mounted above the tweets). The MTM tends to sound far more balanced in my opinion, whereas a TMM can tend to sound too "forward" in the midrange.

I know there are countless more advantages to an MTM, but these are the ones I've experienced for myself.

SteveG

Account Disabled
2002-01-07 7:20 pm
Newton Falls, Ohio
I would have to say that if you go for the MTM, keep your drivers in tight to the tweeter, and cross over fairly low. I'm experiencing a little combing effect in the midrange on my mtm's (2-P17wj's and a Morel MDT33) However, when you are at just the right listening position horizontally, the imaging is pure magic. I've never had a pair of speakers that have the singer so well centered between and slightly <I>in front of</I> the speakers! I have been wondering lately if a TMM would not have been a better choice. I have heard that smaller mini-monitor types of speakers often image better than mtm's. Recently I have heard that the image is much more stable in a standard TM setup than with the MTM, and I would lean toward believing it. Food for thought.
Steve

Ok,

if you like the 'vertical' projects, have a look at this one:

it is the last 'top' design of the guy who developed the DSR (distributed spectrum range) concept that is now evolved in NPS (natural perspective system).
That is in 2 words a way to combine speakers diffusion behavior, speaker geometric position and x-over phase+frequency design to recreate the correct vertical and horizontal ambience and soundstage in a very wide listening area.

http://www.audiocarpet.it/artdesigfm/aedon_audio_nps_1000.htm

the site of Renato Giussani (the designer) is

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MC0004/

Those who can understand Italian could learn more than one trick about speaker's design!

bye
sandro