MTM or Single Mid configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it worth to spend the money for dual mids and designing an MTM set up ?

I am using a Marchand Tube X over and thinking of running an MTM design.

Speakers will be a 3 way active

I am thinking ATC Dome mids that is

What are the benefits and is it worth the $$$$ to go with four mids ?

thanks Guys

Cheers

Hi,

MTM mids with the ATC dome midrange is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time ;)
(And very expensive ...)

MTM only makes sense for 2 ways, not 3 ways, for 3 ways perhaps its BMTB that works.
(Smooths floor bounce issues in the bass, dual midranges are nearly always pointless.)
but many would still do a 3 way as BBMT.

Quite frankly the MTX IMO is a recipe for doing things incorrectly, and its hard to do right.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes power handling might be the only reason, but that indicates poor c/o points.

Changing the mid c/o point by half an octave negates the need for two of them.

The only sensible reason for having MTM midranges is sensitivity issues.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Xover is no issue as I am using an electronic so just a matter of swapping cards

Active XO is not a fix it all. Ideally ou want to get the drivers centre-to-centre within a 1/4 wavelength at the XO. Mid-to-tweet in an MT, Mid-to-mid in an MTM. This last means that, with say 6.5" bass drivers & allowance for a 3.5" bezel on the T, that an XO <400 Hz is required.

dave

Hello,
Lots of opinions, me too.
I use an open baffle 2 ½ way in the near field. I much prefer this to headphones for personal listening.
Yes Cal, for power handling and each is, closed cell foam neoprene gasket, mounted to the reinforced OB. There is much reduced vibration transferred to the baffle with two mids and closed cell rubber mounts.
Yes the vertical lobeing I believe is the reason the good doctor came up with the idea of MTM (the crossover is part of the magic) in the first place.
I believe the long aspect ratio of MTM helps with the pressure wave dispersion around the enclosure.
In the special case of the OB I also believe the long aspect ratio of MTM spreads out the frequency range of the mingling of the front and rear out of phase waves.
DT
All just for fun!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is another advantage. Increased sensitivity of the midbass. Obviously not a major concern if the midbass and tweeter are close in levels but an advantage if the midbass of choice efficiency is lower, (in that the overall efficiency of the speaker will be higher than if the tweeter is attenuated to match the level of a single midbass).

also this abstract from D'appolito's paper on his version of this arangement.

Recently the use of in-phase crossover networks has been recommended to eliminate polar response asymmetries (lobing errors) in the crossover region of multiway loudspeaker systems with noncoincident drivers. In this paper a simple geometric arrangements of three drivers in a two-way loudspeaker is shown to eliminate lobing error independent of interdriver phase relationships, thereby removing this error from consideration in crossover selection. The suggested arrangements eliminates off-axis nulls and provides another polar response when the drivers are not driven in phase.
AES E-Library A Geometric Approach to Eliminating Lobing Error in Multiway Loudspeakers

Tony.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the reason the good doctor came up with the idea of MTM (the crossover is part of the magic) in the first place.

The good doctor only popularized the idea and explained a rationale for the XO topology (which he has, in later designs not followed indicating to me that XO is flexible), he did not come up with the MTM arrangement.

dave

The good doctor only popularized the idea and explained a rationale for the XO topology (which he has, in later designs not followed indicating to me that XO is flexible), he did not come up with the MTM arrangement.

dave

Hello,
As I said Opinion; a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
The good doctor had the insight to understand, his name is on the paper. Big picture the doctor has the firmest grip (name association) on MTM. You knew who I was speaking of without saying the name.
DT
All just for fun!

Hello,
From my personal view of soundstage, imaging or closing my eyes and believing the illusion of being 3rd row center MTM’s work best.
A point source is held up as possibly being more accurate. A point source does not disappear in the space when you close your eyes it shouts here I am look at me.
DT
All just for fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.