Mounting fuse holders etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not the only way and not the safest.

What is the reasonable maximum current draw on each supply?
Insert a 3pin regulator CCS prior to the voltage regulator. Set the CCS to: maximum current draw * 120% + 10mA.
eg
200mA current draw.
120% is 240mA
add on 10mA for a total of 250mA for the CCS.
The 3pin regulator as a CCS outputs ~1.25Vdc across the limiting resistor. Use a 5r resistor. R = 1.25V / 0.25A
Use two 10r in parallel.
Dissipation in each resistor is 1.25V^2/10r = 156mW. Use >=400mW resistors.
You could use a 600mW 5r1 single resistor giving the CCS ~245mA.

I realise that you are referring to inserting a current limiting stage. I see your point. How about the solution of the capacitance multiplier, using a BD139? It should withstand high currents I suppose.

Another option from Merlin Blencowe's book is to use a limiting resistor after the transistor and parallel it with diodes, which should switch on provided the maximum current is surpassed, thus limiting it.

In short, do you think it is necessary to fuse everything? It does no harm either way - my life should be made easier if I skip all that though.

I have another question

how will you wire all 12 effect pedals into your preamp :scratch:

reason I ask is, are you sure you really need all of them to be active all the time ?

I will wire them in series, based on the sounds I want to reproduce. Of course and not all of them will be needed simultaneously, but each of them may be needed during a gig.

Are you asking this in terms of minimising idle power consumption?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Are you asking this in terms of minimising idle power consumption?

partly that, yes

I will wire them in series, based on the sounds I want to reproduce.

sounds like you don't know how it works yet :confused:

not that I have a lot of experience with effect pedals
but enough to know they can be really tricky to connect together

sounds like you don't know how it works yet :confused:

not that I have a lot of experience with effect pedals
but enough to know they can be really tricky to connect together

The pedals that will be fed are going to be tuner, compressor + overdrives and distortions. There are many combinations that can be utilised.

A general rule of thumb for me is that I place the overdrives before the heavier distortions. I will make that decision when I finalise my designs, but it has nothing to do with the power supply.

What do you want me to say actually? First goes the Bulldog distortion, second the Big Muff etc? :)

As for idle consumption, just think that the power supply will be capable of delivering 20 watts of pure DC power, using around 65 VA or what. And this is the overkill margin - I will not come even close to using all of the 20 watts, so imagine that no more than 30-50 watts shall be consumed when the power supply feeds my chain. Not that bad for home use or gigs.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
tuner
I found it more practical to run my tuner on battery
its not connected to anything at all
I just plug my guitar jack in, and it switches on
plug out, and power is also out
battery will last forever
and 100% silent tuning

for the efffect pedals, its not good to series connect so many
two is already one too many
maybe ease the load with a bypass/looper like this one
and group your pedals up in smaller sections

http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pedals/loopers-routers/tblooper.html

I would think twice about it, that's all

tuner
I found it more practical to run my tuner on battery
its not connected to anything at all
I just plug my guitar jack in, and it switches on
plug out, and power is also out
battery will last forever
and 100% silent tuning

for the efffect pedals, its not good to series connect so many
two is already one too many
maybe ease the load with a bypass/looper like this one

A/B True Bypass Looper Kit | BYOC

I would think twice about it, that's all

I own such a tuner, but it is useless during a gig. I will use a stompbox tuner with visible display when dark to tune up before solos or anything during a gig. Plus it draws no current when not engaged.

I will consider using a bypass buffer for each pedal, since I will build the majority of them. I think you are referring to the loss of tone caused by the low-pass filter generated by long runs of cable between many pedals.

Many professional players use the idea of series connection, and either way, again I don't have to modify my power supply to suit this. David Gilmour connected everything in series, with or without buffers. Guess that it will suit me, too, carefully implemented. :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I think you are referring to the loss of tone caused by the low-pass filter generated by long runs of cable between many pedals.

not long cables
but some pedals can drive another pedal, but that one may not like to driver the next
since you build your own, you might have more control of that

effects may work, but ruins the tone
it also affects tuning and pitch
have to say, I don't care much about distortion
I also threw out the compressor and learned to play without

not to mention the general noise they produce

good luck to you :up:

not long cables
but some pedals can drive another pedal, but that one may not like to driver the next
since you build your own, you might have more control of that

effects may work, but ruins the tone
it also affects tuning and pitch
have to say, I don't care much about distortion
I also threw out the compressor and learned to play without

not to mention the general noise they produce

good luck to you :up:

Yes, indeed I will adjust things to taste.

Using tone only from the amp and cab is a little tough for me right now, and is a future plan.

Of course we seem to have different taste about effects - but for the music I like, effects are very important.

And a compressor is very useful not necessarily during solos, but comes handy during some chords. Either way, the one I will use is very subtle. :)

right now I'm surpriced about how much different instrument changes the sound and playing style

Of course! And I use a stratocaster (my nickname is clear :p). Compared to a Gibson or anything similar, with which I get more sustain, more overdrive etc, typical of the coils used in such guitars and their construction, I have greatly different sound.

But hey, I like those sparkling cleans and all these harmonics that come out of my single coils. :D

I was thinking about using REAN tiny XLR's as power supply jacks and plugs, for 200mA DC max at 16V DC. Or for 150mA DC, 9V DC.

They lock, are small enough for my needs, and not that expensive. I just wanted something that locks, the other side of the cable will be non-locking.

Is there any reason why this could be a bad choice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.