motorola dcp501

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yup, like I always say, just because a company has a great product, doesn't alway mean the stocks gonna rock (Read - Vonage...arggg).

Too bad. They got a great product, but unfortunately they must compete with the likes of Philips (Hypex), TI (awesome Equibit chips), and B&O (ICEPower), but I must say, the Tripaths do have a nice nitch in the low power/hgh performance space. All the others cannot touch Tripath when it come to putting 5 - 20 wpc amps in a bazillion Plasma TVs coming out of China - who the hell would buy a bulky plasma with a 300 wpc amp? Well, maybe there is a market (duh).

I am holding and hoping, and remember the stock went from .28 to 8 just a couple years back (I am always late to the parties...)

Dr Adya Tripathi may be a brilliant electrical engineer, but as a businessman, well, that's another story...

My 2 cents

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As far as the amp - yes, the binding posts upgrade are a great start to the DCP - just couldn't get myself to rip into the unit to recase when I bought it six months ago - it looks so damn nice and clean. It even smelled nice.

It's the engineer in me thats always wants to MacGyver everything.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I picked up one on eBay for $45 - new.

At the moment it's on the sloooow boat to Honolulu. I may see it by the end of the month. Will be interesting to hear what it sounds like. At the very least it will give me surround sound processing. Why the heck not?

Well, I couldn't help myself and jumped on board this boat before it sails off into the sunset.

I have no plans on using this thing for any of its intended purpose. I'm going to rip it to pieces as soon as I get it. Nobody has posted any pics of its guts yet so I will be sure to do so as soon as the autopsy is over.:dead:

If I manage to keep the amp section alive through all my probing and mods I will probably recase it into a 6 channel power amp.

Hehe, i had a feeling that the dcp501's price had finally crossed a threshold. Tempting even for the modders and tinkerers now :D. Well i ended up purchasing one of the slim jvc receivers instead, but you fellas really are tempting me to pick up one of these motorola's as well.

Going to throw another one out there, has anyone seen the price drop on the Teac AG-L800 5.1 receiver yet? It uses the Tripath TA2020, has a small form factor (10" wide) and has one amazing looking remote. All for $199 shipped at J&R: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3668123

Who else is tempted?

Ah, looks like the boat has indeed sailed in regards to the seller linked to earlier with the cheap price. I was fifth to last in getting mine, glad I didn't wait any longer.

When I checked two days ago he had close to 900 units available; but he specifically stated that when the 10 day auction was over there was a buyer waiting to snatch up all remaining units.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As of last night, he had 7 available, then an hour later he had only 3 left. He did have 875 two nights ago. I was tempted to get one more, but I already have two.

The amp board, I remember, realy had only five channels - two dual TA3020 and one single TA3020. You will see what I mean after you rip into them...was hoping for the hidden sixth channel, but no go... you will also see a SMPS and Torroid in teh chassis too...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
sjetski71 said:
the Teac AG-L800 5.1 receiver yet? It uses the Tripath TA2020

Are you sure about that? The TA2020? If so, Teac's claims of 50 WPC is at least 100% over any real power spec for that chip. The TA2020 "might" be able to deliver 49W peak into 4 ohms if run at 15V. Maybe....

Or maybe it's another chip.

Garon Leaves

Garon leaving is a shock, and gives us a glimpse of what may be the end for Tripath? I hope not. Dr. T it appears has forced out another CFO. I hope the business is not in as bad shape as I now imagine it to be in.

At the last two CC's they had talked about Licensing deals, and profitability within the next 3 to 4 quarters. We now know why the CC pr has been overdue. Let's see what they have for revenue, and guidance if the can pull a CC together.

Tripath07

John65b,

I forgot to mention earlier because of Garon leaving, I bought a second DCP501 last night I bought number 4. Then there were three left. I see he has more for sale today. I couldn't resist for $69. I needed something to put in the basement anyway. I will leave one stock and modify the other one.

I found this link, check out the pictures of the 501, click each image to enlarge. Be sure to take a look at the "High-End Toroidal Power Transformer". I believe this would be worth more than $60 bucks alone. Am I correct?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZPJN/104-7638797-1947137?v=glance&n=172282

It will be an interesting day - and next week or two for Tripath.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey, great pic.... see attached from that amazon website. On the far right along the edge - thats the aluminum heat sink and the Tripath amps are between the sink and the chassis. That is a LLOONNGG chassis - the thing is quite huge. Anyway, the speaker clips protrude through the back of the chassis and is part of the amp board...and the left side (Parallels the amp heat sink) is the entire power section for the toroid and SMPS. The orage plug on the amp board is all 5 line inputs channels.

All one needs to do is remove the amp board, toroid and recifier circuit - and the 5 or 12V supply board and re-house it. The remaining 90% of the guts you see in the pic is everything else - cable box, dvd, preamp section.

Attachments

• 3d93a2c008a096c859e28010.l.jpg
    3d93a2c008a096c859e28010.l.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 998
10-Q is out!

John65b,

Check it out at Tripath.com, investors/SEC filings.

It appears there may be life left at Tripath after all. They have cut the loss per share to (-.02) per share for the June Q! They just beat the filing deadline.

Just when things looked the worst. wow, I have to read the 10Q in more detail, now. then I'm going to bed.

Wild times my friends

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The worse news may be Garon leaving. While the improvement in earnings is great, I think it may be overshadowed....as I write this the stock is down 12.5% ($.21/shr) at open...

Arrg...is it time to buy up all those amp chips???? A run on all things Tripath???

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Tripath07 -> now down 46% at $.13/shr...over 4 million shares traded and average daily vol is 80K, and its only noon...It's judgement day for Tripath.

Just dumped a few bazilion shares (3/4 of my stash) a month ago at $.30...whew. Dodged that bullet big time.

But I really do hope they can survive this...

John65b,

Tripath took a major body blow today, we will see if they have any good news when they issue earnings PR. I diversified 25 percent of my holdings over the last month, at about .28. Tripathi will need to answer, probably on Monday if he's got anything. On the other hand, why file the 10-Q on time, why settle the suits, ect. if they are going under? In the 10-Q they talk about being close in the Langley suit, also. Why get the ISO cert?

Then there is the smaller loss this Q -.02, from the -.07 last Q.

No cash is of course the bad news.

The good news is we will find out soon which way she goes.

It's not the product that makes a company profitable.

It's having the marketing ability to shove it down our throats or value-to-price ratio to lure us in.

I thought of inserting a certain brand name in here.. but I like the way this thread is progressing!

I can't wait to get my 2 receivers in the mail.

Newbie here :)

Tried some searching but to no avail. I'm curious if there any other decent all-in-one solutions like this Moto out there for ~$100. This seems like a great option - I'd love to try out these Tripath amps as I have recently become enamored with Class D amps (including wanting to a/b-ing them with my HK AVR-435), but I think this unit would work great as a secondary setup for playing CDs without having to buy a CD player.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if anyone has come across any other options in this little niche category....

Nice forum you gents have here btw.