Most transparent/neutral switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to A/B resistors in my amp circuit without having to solder/desolder. Would make before break switch (ie, Elma rotary switch) be better option to prevent possible speaker damage? With the toggle, I was going to turn off the amp and then switch the resistor with toggle to prevent any damage. I've heard some good things about TOCOS and Alco toggle switches.

Read what I said about stray capacitance and contact resistance.

However, if you wish to proceed then make-before-break action will avoid the 'bang' problem. I would be interested to know how you will flip the switch without knowing which way you flipped it. Given that many switches have slightly different mechanical clicks at each position, getting someone else to do it while you are not looking might not work either. You were intending to do real tests with ears only, weren't you?

I was planning to test if I can detect a difference in sound of my amp with and without the switch. If I can't tell the difference, then I would conclude it's a good switch and would proceed with installing different resistors to the switch. A double blind test would not be practical in this case.

I was thinking of the resistor test, not the switch test. The likely outcome is that with/without the switch will produce a measurable/explicable change in the system (from stray caapcitance etc.), but you might not hear any difference. Swapping resistors is likely to cause a much smaller change, but you may be more sure that you can hear a difference (provided that you know which resistor is which).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.