Morel MW166 transmision line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I haven't, but i just looked at the specs and it seems like you are not shooting for bass as much as voicing so as basically the same thing the Voight pipe will do what you want and be much easier to build. This uses quarter wave just like a TL and I would guess 40Hz is the lowest you can get from the Morels. Speep off sound is 343 meter/second at room temperature in air. Divided by 40 hz= 8.565 meters X 3.2849= feet 28.16 divided by 4=7.04 ' That is a tuned quarter wave to 40Hz so a bent 1/4 wave Voight would be around 3.5' tall.
Have Fun!

The Qt of the MW166 is a bit high at 0.51 for a T/L ,though you might get away with it in a 1/4 wave as ThatchEar suggested. If you have already bought the drivers that's all you can do, if you haven't, you could consider the MW168 which has a Qt of 0.41 which is closer to the ideal and has a much more benign response, lacking the peak at 5kHz which will make designing a x/over difficult.

tomcat

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Download Martin King's software and you can play with all sorts of lines, from heavily tapered thru straight, thru TQWTs.

The 0.51 Qts may seem to be high, but i just keep remembering a line of Augspurger's when i heard him 1st present his TL paper, "...or you could just get a higher Q driver". It may just mean a slightly larger cabinet.

Go play -- i bet it makes a good quarter-wave speaker.

dave

planet10 said:

There is also a link to the free MathCad Explorer 8 and versions of the worksheet to use with it. It doesn't save or print so you need to do screen snaps...

dave

...yeah. Just wanted to remind that this is not a simple plug and play soft. It also has a bit steep learning curve. But many students use it every day for their homework and if your college has the software - way to go. It should be most advanced and accurate modeling code around for that purpose.

Argo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.