More snake oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have those (the metal-cased plugs) in many of the local hardware stores.  I don't think there's anything electrical about them; they're just built to withstand a lot of stress - a car rolling over them.  The metal case is not connected electrically, and the inner body is the usual polywhatever.

Line cords, I've heard a slight (but meaningful) difference going from 18Ga. zip to 16Ga. 'appliance' cord (the round one), but nothing after that.  Until my tired ol' ears hear otherwise, I have to think that a line cord that costs as much as an amplifier is pretty much all salesmanship.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

more snake oil

Here is South Africa our mains is 235 volts 16 amps and those bakelite and plastic sockets were junk if mishandled just slightly. The common used for industrial and domestic permanent wall sockets are switched and bakelite insulation in a metal box. Switched extentions are all metal boxed except the cheap and nasty Chinese junk that work only till the bank transferred the money from your credit/debit card. The size of the mains cord imho do not have such an effect here for the mains vary from 175 to 345 volts! I had a lot of fights with the power people and eventually got a UPS to protect fridge motors. Just check those Apion Rubber cords if there are no hairline cracks in them otherwise I think that the amount of copper used make them better as those days quality was best for:) those years. The pic of that mains cord should send that manufacturer wholesaler retailer to jail and the locks welded tight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.