More Midrange Sweet Spot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking of the below picture design the "midrange" has one 10" speaker, per side.
Was thinking of 4 -10" speakers or 8" speakers for "midrange" with JBL

len drive 076 len on highs or lens 2425 driver....etc...
Bass 15" JBL 2225H...................................thanks for "midrange" input.

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

D300-1-0044_zpsedea8dab.jpg

Last edited:
I dont want 2 midrange....It was if I was going to add in the picture of the cabinets they have one 10" speaker per side was going to add one more per side for total of 2 on each side 10".
Or instead of using 10" being 2 on each side use 8" speakers 2 on each side....poss.
thanks...

So the question was one 10" midrange in the cabinet or add one more for 2- 10" midrange speakers per side for total of 4- 10" mids OR poss use 8" mids being 2 on each side total
of 4 - 8" mids. Not that Im going to jack the midranges up in volume,but a poss a enhance presence of midrange...value. Kind of like "More Cowbell" in the mix......
I do like volume is a factor in my quest for more Virgil Dontia.......drums.

YouTube
YouTube

thanks..

I have also thought of using a midrange horn or ESS Heil with the midrange for what I would call the smooth sound of a midrange 10"speaker combind with the Mid. horn or ESS Heil as Midrange with the 10" speaker as a union of those 2 midrange items each giving its own finger print on the combined two midrange sounds, being 10" speaker and mid horn together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• heil1.jpg
    heil1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 298
  • heil2..jpg
    heil2..jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
2x10" per side does not seem like a good idea. Comb filtering is going to hurt you, at least at the top of the midrange. I have seen it done on line array speakers with 2x8" and a horn in the middle. You'll need to be careful about crossover points and such.

2x10" per side does not seem like a good idea. Comb filtering is going to hurt you, at least at the top of the midrange. I have seen it done on line array speakers with 2x8" and a horn in the middle. You'll need to be careful about crossover points and such.

2x10" works just fine:
59f09e_72a6ce161b5e4f1193b781473b37574f~mv2.jpg

:D

But does need a fairly low crossover point. I went for around 1kHz with these, which is where the 90x40 HF horn starts to lose its pattern. By having the midbass drivers arranged in this way, the narrow-ish vertical pattern is maintained to a lower frequency. Handy for live sound - if you get them reasonably high, they don't kill the people at the front.

Gray, why do you feel that an extra midrange is needed?

Chris

In my picture post the low /mid/high are separate. I will make the midrange cabinet with front panel removable so I cant change out the items loaded in the midrange cabinet if my vision of what I want shifts or my conclusion about the enhanced midrange...Well Chris...
was adjusting something else the EQ and the base is a given.....and the crystal clear highs were a given....I first thought about adding a 1 more 10" speaker per side for total of 4-
10" speakers for not really volume but what would be a certain % of a enhanced midrange. Midrange not a give sound like the bass a given sound as the highs. My though have changed to poss. use instead of 2 - 10's per side...is use the 10" speaker JBL and a Horn lens midrange which would give the character of both midrange items a speaker midrange and the horn midrange character....with Potentiometer adjustment on both midrange items the speaker and the horn lens to be able to

tweek....... maybe the horn lens just in the back ground, the lens their for the enhanced midrange quest, or the lens adjusted up and the 10" midrange speaker adjusted to back.. What do you think Chris661.......Chris I want you to spill everything you
have ever done with a speaker....and never told anyone.......lol

thanks

Mid array filtering

Pano...You are sending out negative psychic waves.......on a speaker site....Im kidding....The type music I listen to and the volumes....Fusion Jazz....Alan Holdsworth....Virgil Donati drummer, composer....Thanks for the tip Pano...
will take that in....
thanks

YouTube

Out of curiosity Pano.....do you remember the crossover point of the 8" mid speaker and the Mid horn....?? and just what was going on with those two....in system..
thanks.................

OK, mids = 250-2 kHz = [250*2000]^0.5 = ~707 Hz acoustic power distribution mean = ~34400/pi/707 = ~15.5 cm dia. = closest to an 8" frame size. Dual 8" = ~377.38 cm^2 [Sd] = closest to a 10".

If a 1 kHz XO, then a 500 Hz acoustic power distribution mean = ~34400/pi/500 = ~21.9 cm dia. = closest to a 10" frame size. Dual 10" = ~753.35 cm^2 [Sd] = closest to a 15", so in the end probably better off adding another 15" and try rolling off the lower one [2.5 way] wherever baffle step dictates if running them to 1 kHz causes any 'blurring' of the 500 Hz-up BW.

FWIW, my last Altec speakers were dual 15" tuned to ~14 Hz, 500 Hz/2nd order XO with powerful/razor sharp clarity [14 ft min. listening distance on axis], but never tried with a higher XO point and/or higher order, so 'caveat emptor' applies.

WRT [four] of either 8" or 10", you're on your own unless your listening distance is way longer than mine as that's just too much comb filtering for me and my tinnitus.

GM

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
sorry for the noob, but why not

@grayxxx,

I know there is a controversal about MTM, but why not ? there was a TAD like that with the gorn is the midle. Maybe the "flater" - less lobbing- front acoustical distribution of a MTM could help :8"/10"-your tweet- 8"/10" ? And ugly but idealy the 15" above ?

Wow : I want a A4 for my 14' listening distance :D... nice picture, btw.

Thinking of the below picture design the "midrange" has one 10" speaker, per side.
Was thinking of 4 -10" speakers or 8" speakers for "midrange" with JBL

len drive 076 len on highs or lens 2425 driver....etc...
Bass 15" JBL 2225H...................................thanks for "midrange" input.]

I remember seeing those at the Scalford hifiwigwam show.

3-way Seos

Fatmarley dude.....You might be having hot flashes........thanks for your response....
I really appreciate your attached photo allot.....I want you to go over to the DIY Audio
"mess hall" lunch is on me, drinks to well 4 drinks.....and a "honey bun".......and one
pack of gum........
thanks

diyiggy.....I think you might need to turn yourself into the closest re-indoctrination center
for some type of speaker treatment. They have Altec wall paper where you can do your living wall into a Altec A4 wall......lol
thanks diyiggy................gray
images

Can anyone tell me where I could find a pair of Altec A4 cabinet plans?

Best,

Jeff​

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.