Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Feel free to add content :)

I'm not an expert in Git so if there are admin things I need to do just let me know. Also, make drafts if possible then we can go over them before publishing. Git is pretty amazing.

I love Git, use it daily at work. If I need permissions I'll let you know. Not sure about the drafts thing, I need to know how github teams work. Created an intro of myself there for now.

Thanks for the links but I'd need Hifiberry support to help me understand how to integrate this device into moOde. I can't really figure that out just from the information in the linked pages.

Do you know of any Players that support this device?

So far, I've only tested Moode, but Hifiberry (Daniel) is mentioning somewhere on the community blog: :

" HiFiBerry team February 23, 2018 13:00
Ok, I can confirm that RoPiee work with the HiFiBerry DAC driver on the Beocreate board. In Roon you need to select "DSP volume" as the volume control.

Best regards,
Daniel"

So far, I've only tested Moode, but Hifiberry (Daniel) is mentioning somewhere on the community blog: :

" HiFiBerry team February 23, 2018 13:00
Ok, I can confirm that RoPiee work with the HiFiBerry DAC driver on the Beocreate board. In Roon you need to select "DSP volume" as the volume control.

Best regards,
Daniel"

I've just tested Volumio on the Hifiberry Beocreate and it has the same problem: loud pop at the start.

BTW: switching to Bluetooth with MoODe Audio gives also this annoying loud pop.

I am hoping someone on the forum can provide some guidance.

I have the latest version of Moode on a Pi3B with an Allo DigiOne. The DigiOne is plugged into a PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC. The NuWave documentation claims it accepts up to DSD2x over the coax SPDIF connector via DoP and can process 24bit/192kHz files.

If I enable DoP then I also have to enable SoX resampling. If I do not enable DoP (native DSD) then I do not have to enable DoP.

My questions is what should my MPD setting be for best playback? I most typically listen to WAV and FLAC files which I do not think I want to be resampled by MPD. Thoughts?

Part of my question is what is happening in the chain, and what is actually being sent to the DAC. I assume the DAC is getting PCM in both cases below. Is it really 32bit/192kHz being sent to the DAC?

Below are the playback details given the different MPD settings.

AUDIO DEVICE
Device: Allo DigiOne
Chip: Cirrus Logic WM8805
Architecture: S/PDIF transceiver 24 bit 192 kHz

With 'Native DSD' enabled - DoP disabled - PLAYS WELL
=====================================
INPUT PROCESSING
Source: NAS/Music/DSD/2L-038_stereo_01_01.dff
Encoded at: DSD64, 1 bit, 2.822 mbps Stereo
Decoded to: PCM, 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo
Rate: 12.288 mbps
DSP OPERATIONS
Resampling: off
Crossfeed: off
Equalizer: Graphic EQ: (off), Parametric EQ: (off}
Crossfade: 3 seconds
Other: Volume normalize (no}, Replaygain (off)
Chip options: none
Volume ctl: Disabled (100% volume level is output by MPD)
OUTPUT STREAM
Format: 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

With 'Native DSD' disabled - DoP enabled - SoX resampling 24/192kHz- plays well
=====================================
INPUT PROCESSING
Source: NAS/Music/DSD/2L-038_stereo_01_01.dff
Encoded at: DSD64, 1 bit, 2.822 mbps Stereo
Decoded to: DoP 24 bit 176.4 kHz, Stereo
Rate: 8,467 mbps
DSP OPERATIONS
Resampling: 24 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo (SoX very high quality)
Crossfeed: off
Equalizer: Graphic EQ: (off), Parametric EQ: (off}
Crossfade: 3 seconds
Other: Volume normalize (no}, Replaygain (off)
Chip options: none
Volume ctl: Disabled (100% volume level is output by MPD)
OUTPUT STREAM
Format: 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

Last edited:
DSD128(2x) plays fine with DoS enabled and Sox disabled (see below). DSD64(1X) with the same settings just results in hiss... unless I turn SoX on. Does this make sense?

INPUT PROCESSING
Source: NAS/Music/DSD/2L-038_stereo-DSD128_01.dff
Encoded at: DSD128, 1 bit, 5.644 msps Stereo
Decoded to: DoP 24 bit 352.8 kHz, Stereo
Rate: 16.934 mbps

I’ll write up a bunch of stuff, and maybe a wiki template, if you like. I’ll send it to you via mail - I don’t need editor permissions

I need to do a new build, so I can do a soup-to-nuts with supporting pics/diagrams, and I’ve just built a new Pi with a touchscreen, so can document the wiring/config of that as well.

I’ll try and cobble together a doc covering the various DACs, capabilities, base settings - all the crap that’s accumulated on here over the years. I promise not to say anything nasty about Hifiberry :)

Also, a dummies guide to ssh, nano, dmesg, ls, grep, file formats, compressed partitions, etc. wouldn’t go astray.

Last edited:
I am hoping someone on the forum can provide some guidance.../snip/....... I assume the DAC is getting PCM in both cases below. Is it really 32bit/192kHz being sent to the DAC?......../snip/....

As commented by PS Audio representative Bill Leebens in 2015:
“Ah—here’s the story: It’s 24 bits through coax and USB. The chip is 32-bit capable, but the only input that will accept 32-bit is the I2S input. And I have no knowledge of anything that will output 32 bits to I2S, although our next-generation transport MIGHT. So—in practical terms, it’s 24 bit. Sorry for the confusion.”

PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC review | Darko.Audio

I’ll write up a bunch of stuff, and maybe a wiki template, if you like. I’ll send it to you via mail - I don’t need editor permissions

I need to do a new build, so I can do a soup-to-nuts with supporting pics/diagrams, and I’ve just built a new Pi with a touchscreen, so can document the wiring/config of that as well.

I’ll try and cobble together a doc covering the various DACs, capabilities, base settings - all the crap that’s accumulated on here over the years. I promise not to say anything nasty about Hifiberry :)

Also, a dummies guide to ssh, nano, dmesg, ls, grep, file formats, compressed partitions, etc. wouldn’t go astray.

Hi Mike,

The challenge is maintaining the documentation current as moOde and the platform it runs on changes.

You can send me materials via email and we can discuss :)

-Tim

Image file for running Moode 4.0 on new Raspberry Pi3 B+

Received my Raspberry Pi3 B+ and really wanted to try it out but no joy with using existing build, no boot at step 11 even with trying to edit mosbuild.sh file.
Anyway via a friend of mine his son has very kindly done the messy work and produced an image file that 'just works' not sure if this is breaking any rules but here is the link for the file on G**gle drive.

image.zip - Google Drive

:)

Hope this helps others, I was getting frustrated at not being able to get the B+ to work for me and a friend of mine, many hours with no joy.

My existing Pi3B is working beautifully with an Allo DigiOne spdif board and Chord Mojo DAC/Preamp (all battery powered) into discrete Avondale T65 monoblocks then into cabinetless speakers :eek: (DIY) superbly musical, max Sox oversampling and a tweaked config.txt file underclocking the Pi at 800mhz.
If the B+ model is an improvement then I'll be very impressed. just playing about with it now.

Happy listening.

Is it possible to have new tracks added to my nas share automatically show up in the browse section without having to initiate a library update? My nas has around 400GB of music, which currently takes hours to update if I start a library update. Not being able to play new tracks without waiting hours is not ideal.

Why can it not just show the contents of the network share and allow me to add them to a playlist? I've never used the library function and would great to just add any files in the browsed share to the current playlist.

Thanks.

How to run Moode 4.0 image file on new Raspberry Pi3 B+

Should have mentioned a basic 'how to' guide as I am the first to say 'well how do you do it' when furnished with a new file/image etc.

Download raspberry Pi 3 B+ image for Moode 4.0 as linked on my post earlier (created from Tim's mosbuild.sh and edited to get over the problems with kernel to run on B+) here is the link again:

image.zip - Google Drive

Use Etcher (I use a Mac but find PC equivalent if you need to) Etcher accepts the zip file as is, point the program to your sdcard, I used a 16GB sandisk as the image is pretty big at 2.6GB but an 8Gb might work. Wait for Etcher to finish then place in RPi3B+ and you should be up and running once you log into the Pi with moode.local.

If I find any improvements with tweaking the config.txt for underclocking etc. I'll post them.

Cheers
Rod