Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

:D:D:D

the crazy thing is, that i started with Linux in 1994 at the end of my study and than later i was working many years making Unix administration. Now after all those years, when i saw the "recipe" for moOde, i was thinking, that i am back in 1994, when i was compiling for days and nights my Linux distribution on my 66MHz 486. Kernel compiling for two hours etc ...

lol, maybe just a temporary situation, however the Build Recipe has proven to be very useful for distro maintainers that wish to integrate moOde and that should ultimately benefit all :)

-Tim

I'm sorry, I haven't followed the forum and the latest developments, but today I opened the website to download the latest version of Moode (using 3.8 now) and notice that the 4.0 version available is a zip file with no .img. Reading the last few pages of this thread it looks like this is a beta version?
Is 3.8 the latest stable release? Is 4.0 stable enough for daily use? If so, how should I write it in an SD card using Windows?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Option 2 Worked

Hi,

Below is new procedure for STEPS 1,2. If someone can verify I'll upload new version of Build Recipe :)

-Tim

Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// STEP 1 - Enable SSH and remove Auto-Resize task
//
// Use one of the two options below depending on what
// type of host computer you are going to be using.
//

// OPTION 1: Using Raspbian Linux (Raspberry Pi)

1. Download Raspbian Stretch Lite 2017-09-07
wget [url]http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/raspbian_lite-2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip[/url]
sudo unzip 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip 
sudo rm 2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip

2. Mount the boot and root partitions
LOOPDEV=$(sudo losetup -f)
sudo losetup -P $LOOPDEV 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img
sudo mkdir /mnt/p1
sudo mkdir /mnt/p2
sudo mount -t vfat "$LOOPDEV"p1 /mnt/p1
sudo mount -t ext4 "$LOOPDEV"p2 /mnt/p2

3. Enable SSH
sudo touch /mnt/p1/ssh

4. Remove Auto-Resize task
sudo sed -i "s/init=.*//" /mnt/p1/cmdline.txt
sudo sed -i "s/quiet.*//" /mnt/p1/cmdline.txt
sudo sed -i "s/^/net.ifnames=0 /" /mnt/p1/cmdline.txt

5. Cleanup
sudo losetup -D
sudo umount /mnt/p1
sudo umount /mnt/p2
sudo rmdir /mnt/p1
sudo rmdir /mnt/p2

6. Reboot

// OPTION 2: Using Windows or Mac computer

1. Download Raspbian Stretch Lite 2017-09-07
[url]http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/raspbian_lite-2017-09-08/2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.zip[/url]

2. Unzip and install the .img file to an SD Card
[url=https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/]Installing operating system images - Raspberry Pi Documentation[/url]

3. Eject the SD Card and then re-insert it
4. Open File Manager (Windows) or Finder (Mac)
5. Click the device named "boot" to show its contents
6. Write/create an empty file named "ssh" in the boot directory
7. Edit the file named cmdline.txt

# Remove the text below 
quiet init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh

# Add this text to beginning of the line. Ensure there is a space between this text and the remaining text.
net.ifnames=0

8. Eject the SD Card

//
// STEP 3 - Expand the root partition to 3GB
//

1. Insert the SD Card into a Raspberry Pi and POWER UP.

No problem with option 2. However, in Step 3 of the recipe, was not able to login. Funny when I use NOOBs install I am able to use the Pi without a hitch.

No problem with option 2. However, in Step 3 of the recipe, was not able to login. Funny when I use NOOBs install I am able to use the Pi without a hitch.

Hi,

When you say "...not able to login" do you mean that you were able to successfully connect to host raspberrypi via ssh but login credentials rejected, or do you mean not able to connect via ssh (host not found or similar).

-Tim

Hi,

When you say "...not able to login" do you mean that you were able to successfully connect to host raspberrypi via ssh but login credentials rejected, or do you mean not able to connect via ssh (host not found or similar).

-Tim

I enter ssh pi@raspberrypi then PWD raspberry. a message pops up incorrect login. Again this happened as well when I was using the beta 7 receipe too. The raspberry pi works just fine with the Noobs installed raspian.

Hi @onionhead,

Quick test on my Mac with fresh Stretch Lite and no issues.

Since host name and login credentials are not touched in STEP 2, I'm not sure what might be going on.

There are a couple of obvious suspects for login rejection including accidentally specifying root@raspberry instead of pi@raspberrypi, or the infamous CAPS Lock on.

-Tim

You are right doesn't make much sense. I am going to try again with another keyboard and fresh Stretch Lite image and see if that does the trick. Thanks for all your support.

Audio Settings

I am using MoOde 3.8.4. with Allo Piano 2.1. I have somehow missed a step or have steps out of order.

When I shutdown power on Pi and then power up Pi for another listening session the ALSA setting is o but I do get bass.

Has anyone else had this happen? If you have and found a solution be great to hear from you. Thanks

Hey, long time since my last visit here.
Time is short, but I've found a few hours to build the 4.0 beta 7.
Everything went fine following the first 1.1 recipe, the one with the USB stick... (I was saying myself why why the stick??? but I had to stick to the plan :) )

While I was there i compiled the 0.20.11 mpd.
I think the compiling took something like ~1.5h if I'm not wrong?
this on Raspberry 1 B+.

UI feels snappy. Love the lots of new features (I was quite a few releases back, more like 1 year behind... :D)

Tomorrow will load my whole library and try the EQ and stuff, to see cpu usage etc
It's nice to see all these features "in core". as for example the artist/albumartist thing.

Huge thank you for the FOSS thing :nod:
Will report more tomorrow.

Yes indeed!

Also, I'm investigating a method for automating the time-intensive GPL administrative tasks. If it pans out, I should be able to provide standard pre-made moOde images again in addition to the Build Recipe.

Hopefully several nice variants of moOde will emerge :)

-Tim

I'm ready to convert to any religion in order to pray for it!

Hi @challenge,

Long time no see :)

I uploaded a new Build Recipe (v1.3) that has a simplified STEP 1,2 and bump to 0.20.11 MPD.

An MPD compile on a 1B will take a while unless its got 1GHz OC settings.

-Tim

Hi, Tim.

I got to come up for air for an afternoon.

It's good to see the continual fleshing out of the instructions.

A couple of minor nits with build_recipe_v1.3.txt

line 53: the printable text is sudo mount -t ext4 "$LOOPDEV"p2 /mnt/p2
but the line is trailed by some 54 nul characters.

lines 63, 110: GB is the country code for Great Britain. Different countries impose different regulations on their 802.11 devices (e.g., frequency bands and radiated power). Zootalaws knows this WiFi stuff better than I do but in general I'd think we should use our location-appropriate country code.

line 192: seriously, do we need to install telnet? (I didn't out of principle)

In general, it seems like too much is done in root mode (e.g., sudo blah blah blah). Good practice is to "make" apps from sources as a normal user and only switch to root to "make install" them. Probably a minor point when building moodeOS/moOde Player directly but perhaps more significant to maintainers of a distro.

I had no trouble building r40b7 (listening to it now) except for the gmusicapi.

Code:
pi@moode-rpi3b:~ $ sudo pip install gmusicapi
Collecting gmusicapi
  Using cached gmusicapi-10.1.2.tar.gz
Collecting MechanicalSoup>=0.4.0 (from gmusicapi)
  Using cached MechanicalSoup-0.9.0.post2.tar.gz
    Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/tmp/pip-build-JkmY9f/MechanicalSoup/setup.py", line 64, in <module>
        install_requires=requirements_from_file('requirements.txt'),
      File "/tmp/pip-build-JkmY9f/MechanicalSoup/setup.py", line 9, in requirements_from_file
        return [line.strip() for line in open(filename, 'r')
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/codecs.py", line 896, in open
        file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'requirements.txt'

----------------------------------------
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-JkmY9f/MechanicalSoup/

I'm not sure what's going on here---contradicting its own setup.py, the .tar.gz file at pypi.python.org contains a 'requires.txt' file---I'll look more carefully tomorrow.

Regards,
Kent

Hi, Tim.

lines 63, 110: GB is the country code for Great Britain. Different countries impose different regulations on their 802.11 devices (e.g., frequency bands and radiated power). Zootalaws knows this WiFi stuff better than I do but in general I'd think we should use our location-appropriate country code.

In general, it seems like too much is done in root mode (e.g., sudo blah blah blah). Good practice is to "make" apps from sources as a normal user and only switch to root to "make install" them. Probably a minor point when building moodeOS/moOde Player directly but perhaps more significant to maintainers of a distro.

Code:
Collecting gmusicapi
      File "/tmp/pip-build-JkmY9f/MechanicalSoup/setup.py", line 9, in requirements_from_file

Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-JkmY9f/MechanicalSoup/

I'm not sure what's going on here---contradicting its own setup.py, the .tar.gz file at pypi.python.org contains a 'requires.txt' file---I'll look more carefully tomorrow.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Line 53 for sure has odd chars. Similar to earlier occurrence that u reported. I should probably leave "Show invisible characters" setting on in Coda...

Prolly unnecessary use of sudo but it does no harm right?

I didn't experience any errors from the upmpdcli install but its very complex and no surprise that there are issues, especially wth the Google Music component which requires a separate install from pip :-0

-Tim

Hi, Tim.

Code:
Collecting gmusicapi

Regards,
Kent

I hit the same error.

pip install MechanicalSoup fails as above.

Phil