Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Tim,

Why isn't there built in support? It seems like this request comes up fairly often and would be a nice feature in certain situations.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Generally I leave peripheral device integration up to the user or manufacturer. Exceptions to this would include a peripheral device that becomes so popular in Raspberry Pi audio that it would make sense for me to invest the time and effort to integrate and support it, and (2) if the peripheral maker provides the software interfaces that make it trivial to integrate into moOde, for example I2S drivers.

-Tim

Tim,

We will offer a CM3 based streamer and I was hoping to point hardened moOde customers your way to install moOde on the streamer harwdare instead of our supplied software solution if they prefer.

Once I can confirm its works, we I don't need to be in the loop - customers come direct to you for moOde - I don't see this being any different then from installing on there own RPi's or am I missing something (I'm sorry if I have).

It be nice not to have to tell to our customers sorry moOde does not want you to install there software on the streamer, we make no secret that the streamer core is RPi based - it be a shame as a few have expressed a preference for moOde as an option.

As I say, we would not be in the loop - only to say that I have tested moOde and it works - and they goto you to purchase the software.

I only design hardware, in principle I'm open to any software being installed - I'm only too happy to have "Open" hardware as much as possible.

As I say, all units will be shipped with our own custom software - however being an "open" hardware design, I cannot see any advantage in preventing customers from installing there own preferred software.

Again, sorry if I've made an error....

Tim,

I freely admit to being ignorant of the difficulty of the programming involved.
But it seems like the HDMI is already done and if you picked just one popular touch screen you could increase your fan base without too much work.
Feel free to smack me down if I am way off base. :)

Andy

Tim,

Why isn't there built in support? It seems like this request comes up fairly often and would be a nice feature in certain situations.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Generally I leave peripheral device integration up to the user or manufacturer. Exceptions to this would include a peripheral device that becomes so popular in Raspberry Pi audio that it would make sense for me to invest the time and effort to integrate and support it, and (2) if the peripheral maker provides the software interfaces that make it trivial to integrate into moOde, for example I2S drivers.

-Tim

Yes, very much the same here...

I just imagined running the browser window directly on the Pi hardware - just as it would run under any other web browser device?

The Web Browser takes care of the window scaling and human input device interface just as running on any other "browser" device...

Could it be that running the browsers on the Pi hardware is too CPU intensive and would effect the "streamer" responsiveness?

As I understand this how Volmio is run (with HDMI enabled on the Pi).

MoOde would then not jsut be a headless "unit" but a fully fledge media player... not bad for expanding on the RPi hardware...

Its seems a shame to limit ones self to being "only" headless.... Life is so much more fun and takes on many dimensions when one possess a head :) ...

Last edited:
Hi,

The symptom "Sometimes it shows up..." suggests a network issue. To troubleshoot try the following:

1) Verify shairport-sync is actually running

pgrep -l shairport-sync

2) Verify that only a single adapter and ip address are operational

ip addr show eth0
ip addr show wlan0

-Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not familiar with RP programming so not sure how to enter the syntax.

Ed

Hi @JohnW,

What you are doing is OK and does not violate the License, but I'd encourage you to contact me regarding negotiating a License Agreement that would allow your company to redistribute moOde software on your devices.

The easier you make it for your customer the more they will love your products :)

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Oh - thats good news, I was feeling pretty bad with myself that I had somehow overstepped the spirt of your work!

We will already supply a software installed as standard with the streamers - so "we" cannot be paying two vendors for software on each unit - but as I say, it be great if customers can come to you directly if they are already ardent moOde users :)

I say "we" because 3 decent sized HiFi brands will be using "our" streamer solution in there products - I have a small but loyal Internet following and I would be happy to advise how to replace the standard shipped software with moOde if requested.

No attempt from my side to directly profit from your hardwork!!! :) I just want people to have the best experience from there product :) without "needless" limitations (if they are unhappy with the supplied software).. everyone has there own favourites...

Trust me, it be better for you, if the customers came to you directly each paying US$10 then any manufacturer License Agreement..... the last DAC I designed before I retired in 2011 sold over 70K units over these past 5 years or so... I'd like to have US$10 from each of those units sold :D

Our latest design (Did I say retirement?) has just won the ESIA award, I'd like to offer a matching "affordable" streamer solution....

Last edited:
Tim,

But it seems like the HDMI is already done and if you picked just one popular touch screen you could increase your fan base without too much work.
Feel free to smack me down if I am way off base. :)

Andy

I just imagined running the browser window directly on the Pi hardware - just as it would run under any other web browser device?

The Web Browser takes care of the window scaling just as running on any other "browser" device...

Could it be that running the browsers on the Pi hardware is too CPU intensive and would effect the "streamer" responsiveness?

Hi,

Some attributes of "features"

1) Features compete with one another for development time
2) Each feature creates a support vector
3) Number of requests for same feature is important
4) Time constraints naturally prune the feature list
5) Common sense and trends come into play

I'd suggest that this process more or less ensures that the features that are important to most audio enthusiasts eventually get implemented.

-Tim

Hi,

Some attributes of "features"

1) Features compete with one another for development time
2) Each feature creates a support vector
3) Number of requests for same feature is important
4) Time constraints naturally prune the feature list
5) Common sense and trends come into play

I'm going to print this in A1 and hang in my lab - just to reminded myself!

:)

Yes, very much the same here...

The Web Browser takes care of the window scaling and human input device interface just as running on any other "browser" device...

MoOde would then not jsut be a headless "unit" but a fully fledge media player... not bad for expanding on the RPi hardware...

Its seems a shame to limit ones self to being "only" headless.... Life is so much more fun and takes on many dimensions when one possess a head :) ...

Except, the process for integrating your own favoured attached screen is well documented and tried-and-true.

Create a script, when you have installed/upgraded to the latest version of Moode, run your script which will re-establish your screen function.

There’s a very good reason Mac OS is so much more ‘stable’ than Windows: Microsoft has to design for tens of thousands of potential devices, from motherboard chipset components to any number of bus attached devices, whereas Apple only supports those they build, test and deploy. The result is a much more responsive OS development team, with a much smaller support requirement.

You can do the same. Pick a screen you are comfortable with, learn its function, learn how to integrate it and it will become second-nature to use with any number of different Pi implementations.

You can even share your script and instructions as an example of community-based development.

Hi Tim,

Oh - thats good news, I was feeling pretty bad with myself that I had somehow overstepped the spirt of your work!

We will already supply a software installed as standard with the streamers - so "we" cannot be paying two vendors for software on each unit - but as I say, it be great if customers can come to you directly if they are already ardent moOde users :)

I say "we" because 3 decent sized HiFi brands will be using "our" streamer solution in there products - I have a small but loyal Internet following and I would be happy to advise how to replace the standard shipped software with moOde if requested.

No attempt from my side to directly profit from your hardwork!!! :) I just want people to have the best experience from there product :) without "needless" limitations (if they are unhappy with the supplied software).. everyone has there own favourites...

Trust me, it be better for you, if the customers came to you directly each paying US$10 then any manufacturer License Agreement..... the last DAC I designed before I retired in 2011 sold over 70K units over these past 5 years or so... I'd like to have US$10 from each of those units sold :D

Our latest design (Did I say retirement?) has just won the ESIA award, I'd like to offer a matching "affordable" streamer solution....

Hi @JohnW,

I truly appreciate your respect for moOde License :) however I'd suggest that your strategy of shipping one vendors audio software pre-installed on your turnkey device and at the same time telling your customers that they can simply switch to their favorite other Linux audio player is a bit odd.

(1) The software that you ship with your device sends a message to your customers that you believe enough in that particular software to invest the time and effort to bundle it with your device.

(2) Customers that purchase turnkey devices generally are not the type of user that starts installing whole new Linux software players on their device. Especially CM based devices which can Brick if the image installation goes south.

-Tim

Hi,

After some testing it looks like Bluetooth Speaker sharing will be making it into moOde 4.0 :)

This capability allows you to connect multiple clients to the Speaker where each can interrupt the others to play music.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r40b6-bt-spk-sharing.png
    moode-r40b6-bt-spk-sharing.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 289
I imagined just using any HDMI monitor /TV - with the web browser scaling the image if required (this is how Volumio works) - as units will be shipped with HDMI port, why limit the monitor type? Obviously 1920x1080 is going to be the "Standard" resolution for most domestic users.

Hi,

Our audio experience can be enjoyed and easily controlled from our Smartphones, Tablets, or other computer devices. Thats how most moOde users including myself interact with moOde.

Whats driving the need in your particular case for local display of UI?

-Tim

Last edited:
New to moOde, but a long time user of squeezelite, then Volumio. I recently tried Volumio2 and... well its too slow for me. So in my search I stumbled across moOde, and figured I'd give it a go! Well I must say, so far I am quite impressed! Super fast and seems to work great (only radio stations, as my library will take all night to scan).

The only thing I really want to get going is the LCD, which I had going in Volumio 1.55 and recently Volumio2. I have got it going using the same method as volumio 1.55, using a python program: mpdlcd, but this doesn't use any of your built in LCD functions. Although this way is working fine, It would be nice to have it working the right way.

I have searched the thread (diyaudio doesnt let you search for "lcd", I guess its too short) and have only found one script, which seems to get for i2c lcd's. Mine is running in 8bit mode (I believe) so that doesn't work for me. If anyone has some pointers, that would be AWESOME.

Second, what do people use on iOS for controlling moOde? I guess there is no official app. I am currently using MPoD, although I'm not sure it is still being developed.

<snip>
The only thing I really want to get going is the LCD, which I had going in Volumio 1.55 and recently Volumio2. I have got it going using the same method as volumio 1.55, using a python program: mpdlcd, but this doesn't use any of your built in LCD functions. Although this way is working fine, It would be nice to have it working the right way.<snip>

What LCD are you using ? 16x2.... 20x4..... or graphical.... ?