Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Testing beta with pi3-dac+pro and pi3-digi+ pro-i2s-Buffalo Dac. Actually it is difficult to test, because the sound quality is so good, that i just want listen to the music. Native DSD seems to work, changing diffs. kernel worked, changing different music sources worked.
I have a really good hifi system and IMHO Moode is the best sounding pi player now :), not yet shure if LL or RT kernel sounds better.

My test streamers with multiple power supplies :

@sinski
I love that you are almost literally "breadboarding":) Takes me back to my teens when buying a metal chassis was out of the question.

Regards,
Kent

Now I'm completely confused...:confused:
Reading between the lines would I be right in thinking you've permanently retired from the daily grind and from our shores to more pleasant climes... Borne off to Borneo ? Sold the Alfa, abandoned the tussocks of Horo and Kiwis...?

Correct :) My wife works in Brunei, I have moved here until the end of her contract, then we're pootling around until the end of Feb, when we are moving to Europe, or somewhere - not sure just yet.

I can work anywhere, most of my biz is online.

I'm attempting to stave off becoming a thing of leisure.......SWMBO has a long (and growing) list of task for me! Running out of excuses, though, and she knows it.

We are in the same ballpark :)

Sadly, I married one of those women who think leisure means digging the garden over or redecorating the spare room >.<

Even our holidays are planned and busy - no deck chairs and sangria for me, more likely walking the Great Wall or competing in a 'fun run'

How do ....
Tim pointed me to this thread after I contacted about a specific problem I have had configuring Moode 3.8.4 to use an IR remote.
I have previously installed and used IR remote using v3.1 on a Pi 2 with Justboom Digihat and encountered no real problems however installing same on v3.8.4 has proved a non-starter.

I have basically used the procedure outlined here:
How To Configure JustBoom IR Remote With LIRC • JustBoom

... but get stuck every time at the first reboot (Stage 4) which simply results in a non-responsive Pi requiring a reflash (I have tried this with three different micro cards with exactly the same result every time)

Any help or suggestions about how to get around this would be greatly appreciated :)

@mikmas, Yes Moode 3.8.4 and remote does work.
Try the ssh fix below first and if that doesn't work then Change the gpio input pin.
(I had to change the Ground pin as well so that 3.3v, input, and Gnd all were on the same gpio header strip and my lcd was on the other. But this may have just been a conflict between the two devices. If you're only using the remote sensor and no other gpio pins you should be ok.)

Try using pin 27 for the input and change /boot/config.txt to reflect that...
Code:
# Enable the lirc-rpi module
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Override the defaults for the lirc-rpi module
dtparam=gpio_in_pin=27

Note too that other changes to kernels and settings and upgrades can result in the dtparam line being dropped.
When rebooting at step 4 you need to ssh in and re add the line then sudo reboot and all becomes responsive again.
See the 'Tips and Gotchas' at the bottom of the Justboom page Tip #1 ;) for more on that.

I usually set up everything else first and make the remote the last task then reboot, ssh, add line, reboot.
You will have to do that each time a major configuration change is made in future.... but not for day to day use.

Last edited:
@mikmas, Yes Moode 3.8.4 and remote does work.
Try the ssh fix below first and if that doesn't work then Change the gpio input pin.

Thanks very much for the response :)
Will indeed try the 'ssh fix' and report back....

Not sure how I can change the input pin physically as the IR sensor is soldered to dedicated holes in the Digihat PCB rather than the pins themselves (or did you mean simply a software change?)

Well ... the ssh fix didn't work.
After reboot at Stage 4, I could not ssh in at all, the Pi had stalled. I have a couple of screen photos from the HDMI output that show it stalling pretty early on in the boot sequence with an error:
[4.330980] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000c
[4.347951] pgd = b920c000
[4.359405] (0000000c) *pgd=00000000
[4.371767] Internal error: Oops: 5 [#1] SMP ARM

... and more.

I don't understand any of the above but it doesn't look very promising to me :(

Unfortunately I can't change the input pin for the IR sensor so looks like I'm stuck for now.

I have another sensor I can add to a spare IQaudio DAC to see if that makes any difference but otherwise looks like I'm stalled on Moode v3.1 :(

Last edited:
That's a kernel Oops - in other words, the base OS has gone walkies.

What Pi? Straight or overclocked?
What devices attached? USB and HAT.
What SD card?
What power supply?
What config changes have you made from the freshly-flashed SD?

Not knowing your config, the error code could indicate a USB device has caused the fault - are you using a flirc device?

And, we need more of the oops report, specifically the line starting with EIP: or RIP:

Last edited:
That's a kernel Oops - in other words, the base OS has gone walkies.

What Pi?
What devices attached? USB and HAT.
What SD card?
What power supply?
What config changes have you made from the freshly-flashed SD?

Not knowing your config, the error code could indicate a USB device has caused the fault - are you using a flirc device?

And why are you asking for help for such an outdated version? Upgrade to the latest, then try your mod. 3.1 was an age ago, developmentally. We're on a totally different OS version now, iirc.

Most of what you ask is covered in my first post ...

The original question relates to installing an IR remote on a Pi 2 with a Justboom Digihat running a freshly minted Moode 3.8.4 card.

Other than that, there are no usb devices attached and the PSU is a stock Raspberry supply rated at 5v 2.0 amp. Moode has been configured for WiFi and for the Digihat (with volume disabled)

As mentioned in the first post .. I have tried with 3 micro SDs. One a SanDisk 8gb, the 2nd is a Lexar 16gb and the 3rd a brand new Samsung EVO 32gb.

Thanks very much for the response :)
Will indeed try the 'ssh fix' and report back....

Not sure how I can change the input pin physically as the IR sensor is soldered to dedicated holes in the Digihat PCB rather than the pins themselves (or did you mean simply a software change?)

From the justboom description.....
All Raspberry Pi GPIO pins still accessible via 40pin unpopulated extension header

A quick look shows you could simply cut the i/r sensor leg where it is labelled p25 and solder a jumper to it and to gpio pin 27.
They call it BCM27 (pin count 13) at this link...
Digi HAT at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

Last edited:

The original question relates to installing an IR remote on a Pi 2 with a Justboom Digihat running a freshly minted Moode 3.8.4 card.

Other than that, there are no usb devices attached and the PSU is a stock Raspberry supply rated at 5v 2.0 amp. Moode has been configured for WiFi and for the Digihat (with volume disabled)

As mentioned in the first post .. I have tried with 3 micro SDs. One a SanDisk 8gb, the 2nd is a Lexar 16gb and the 3rd a brand new Samsung EVO 32gb.

@mikmas

Sounds like @Zootalaws is ready to nail this one but let's clear away a little underbrush for him.

You say you have an "Pi 2" with no USB devices and moOde configured for WiFi. What WiFi? The RPi2B doesn't have onboard WiFi. This leaves me wondering what the hardware configuration really is.

Is the only change you've made so far the substitution of moOde r3.8.4 for moOde 3.1 (with each configured the same way)?

Regards,
Kent

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to go back and search for your old posts, nor am i going to read your mind and try and work out how it was you got wifi working on a Pi2 without using a USB device or the crash dump contents I need to pinpoint what your problem is caused by.

I have no idea what a digihat is, how it connects, what settings you used, what kind of IR device you are using, what the settings are or the configuration of the Pi.

If you want me to spend my valuable time solving YOUR problem, make an effort, at least as much of an effort as I am.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to go back and search for your old posts, nor am i going to read your mind and try and work out how it was you got wifi working on a Pi2 without using a USB device or the crash dump contents I need to pinpoint what your problem is caused by.

Sorry - the original post was literally on the same page - #9524 - about 4 back from your first response

I have no idea what a digihat is, how it connects, what settings you used, what kind of IR device you are using, what the settings are or the configuration of the Pi.

As this is a dedicated Moode thread I was looking for responses from others who have successfully implemented IR on Moode 3.8.4 and have some knowledge of the likely peripherals used for HiFi on a Pi with Moode - or preferably the same set up.

If you want me to spend my valuable time solving YOUR problem, make an effort, at least as much of an effort as I am.

I don't expect anyone to spend any time solving anything - if someone has the experience and is happy to share their knowledge, then fine. DRONE7 has offered some very useful advice which I am in the process of following up.

I am very sorry if I have upset you in some way although I do think I have provided info you have asked to the best of my ability and within the resources I have available as soon as possible (my posts are still moderated so some delay occurs). I am new to this forum and will bear in mind your advice re. the amount of detail required when posting questions.

@mikmas
You say you have an "Pi 2" with no USB devices and moOde configured for WiFi. What WiFi? The RPi2B doesn't have onboard WiFi. This leaves me wondering what the hardware configuration really is.

My apologies - there is indeed an 'approved' Raspberry Pi Wifi dongle attached. Other than that, nothing

Is the only change you've made so far the substitution of moOde r3.8.4 for moOde 3.1 (with each configured the same way)?

Indeed the same configuration using the same Justboom hat - the only difference being the mode of setting the configuration implemented by Tim in v3.8.4.

Hi,
I'm having a strange problem with the Wireless interface in my Pi3 since* Moode 3.8.x. The issue is that I cannot get it to to work or show up. The "scan" function doesn't reveal any WiFi networks and the interface just seems to be dead. Adding the SSID / password manually doesn't help either.

With other distros like Volumio, the interface works flawlessly. So, before I send the Pi3 back could someone please give me some pointers (ex. command lines or files to check / modify) to get it working again under Moode 3.8.x

Thanks all.
Greetings.

*I think it is since 3.8.x but not 100% certain.

My apologies - there is indeed an 'approved' Raspberry Pi Wifi dongle attached. Other than that, nothing

Indeed the same configuration using the same Justboom hat - the only difference being the mode of setting the configuration implemented by Tim in v3.8.4.

@mikmas

Ok. So your hardware config is basically the same as one of mine: RPi2B, USB WiFi, and an I2S DAC hat.

I have no experience with either the JustBoom DigiHAT or LIRC control. I'm assuming you boot the fresh moOde 3.8.4, access it via WiFi at the AP address 172.24.1.1, configure WiFi to client mode in the Network configuration screen, and configure the I2S device in the Audio configuration screen. Yes?

Do you immediately reboot at this point or do you proceed directly to the steps in the tutorial? You really should try rebooting. If rebooting fails at this point, then the DAC driver may be incorrect for the kernel or corrupt.

If it does reboot, but then fails to reboot after you do the command line work via ssh, there's something strange going on.

I don't have your DAC/IRC, but on my working RPi2B/moOde 3.8.4/USB WiFi/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, I could install the lirc module, edit /boot/config.txt and /etc/lirc/hardware.conf, and reboot with no problem.

As an aside, I notice that moOde's list of I2S devices offers "JustBoom DigiHAT (Zero)". Is this your choice? AFAIK, the RPi0 and the RPi2B would use the same driver, so this may just be cosmetic, but it's still curious that the listing qualifies the name.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm having a strange problem with the Wireless interface in my Pi3 since* Moode 3.8.x. The issue is that I cannot get it to to work or show up. The "scan" function doesn't reveal any WiFi networks and the interface just seems to be dead. Adding the SSID / password manually doesn't help either.

With other distros like Volumio, the interface works flawlessly. So, before I send the Pi3 back could someone please give me some pointers (ex. command lines or files to check / modify) to get it working again under Moode 3.8.x

Thanks all.
Greetings.

*I think it is since 3.8.x but not 100% certain.

@r100

Are you also connected via wired Ethernet? This disables the WiFi interface.

Regards,
Kent