Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Sorry Tapatalk cut it off..

Your box would have to have a user script.

I have a few different dodgy python scripts now, I don't listen to too many different stations just a few but each station has needed something different.

I assume this is in response to the station logos

Currently SomaFM for example has its station logos appear. The 'static URL I put in for 'new' stations have a logo as well.

Would it be possible to populate these on the back-end like it appears Soma stations are done? If so I can get to work grabbing images and submitting them.

This example is the current functioning way Roon Audio does it for example. Its exactly the same. The URL or Name is associated with an image. Don't know about other stations but the ones I use are indeed static. Don't know why it would randomly change.

If your post was talking about something else....sorry for my rambling :)

Last edited:
Hi guys / Tim

First of all – this is an amazing community.
I started my audiophile raspberry-pi adventure half a year ago, and have tried both Volumio and Moodeaudio. Both are excellent – pros and cons ��
I started with my DAC connected via USB to my rpi3, and upgraded with the DigiOne from Allo as soon as it was released – sound quality is superb, outperforms everything else I’ve heard so far.

Kids mostly use it with airplay (I know quality is not the best, but it’s easier).
I use it mostly with FLACs from NAS, radio streams and Spotify (via Raspotify - GitHub - dtcooper/raspotify: Raspotify - Spotify Connect client for the Raspberry Pi that Just Works™)
System is connected via Ethernet.

I have one problem which I have struggled with from day 1. Both with Volumio and Moodeaudio. And so far, I’ve tried adjusting settings in a myriad of ways with no success.

After a while – can be everywhere between half an hour and one week – the sound disappears. It’s independent on audio source. The player still shows as playing (the digits counting) – and the interface is laggy and not responding properly. Solution is to reboot – and everything works again.

Do any of you had similar experience? and/or advice?

Regards

Last edited:
Hi Tim - I've used a few of these cheap eBay types with good results:
USB 2.0 to LAN/RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter & 3 Port Hub 10/100Mbps UK | eBay

Advantage is that you still get the 3 usb ports as well as the ethernet. Disadvantage is that the cheap ones all seem to have the same MAC address, so if you want to use more than one on your network it can get interesting..... Regards Adrian

Yep, that looks like the ModmyPi one.... good point about the MAC address though, I had been thinking about getting another one for a second RPiZ-w.

Last edited:
I assume this is in response to the station logos

Currently SomaFM for example has its station logos appear. The 'static URL I put in for 'new' stations have a logo as well.

Would it be possible to populate these on the back-end like it appears Soma stations are done? If so I can get to work grabbing images and submitting them.

This example is the current functioning way Roon Audio does it for example. Its exactly the same. The URL or Name is associated with an image. Don't know about other stations but the ones I use are indeed static. Don't know why it would randomly change.

If your post was talking about something else....sorry for my rambling :)
Sorry I thought you were still talking about the current playing track art.

@Serverbaboon beat me to the punch with the concern about licensing.

The TOS clause about sharing revenue with last.fm would seem to preclude Tim hardcoding his own key into a last.fm interface. As I understand the TOS, it seems possible he could freely supply an interface which allows each of us end-users to enter our own key, but I'm unclear how eager last.fm is to hand out developer keys to every Tom, Dick, and Harriett. I don't know anything about Rovi.

Displaying album art for tracks played from radio stations is an intriguing idea, though. It'd be great to see a solution.

Regards,
Kent

Have mentioned to Tim about an info page based on this sort metadata using Gracenote but I think LastFM may have better info. However licencing does seem to be an issue. Weirdly after writing the above resonse you quoted I had the same thought as you about the entry fields for api key, but I wonder if this is a stretching the TC's a bit.

I think I am going to look at LastFM's API anyway see if it gives my better accuracy I didn't realise that it was ok to use their meta data.

Hi suzywong - I've used mac spoofing to get round that on earlier versions of Moode and used 3 of these at once - so I hope it would still work on current Moode. Adrian

Ah yes, I was wondering whether I could spoof it. Did you change yours by hand or use MAC Changer?

Another option might be to buy a number of Ethernet adaptors from different manufacturers - they should *<cough>* have different addresses.......or even go wireless!

:D

I don't know if it has been mentioned but for me where track number is stated I would like to see track of how many e.g. Track 5/12. I know we can look the displayed queue and see how many in it but track of how many, I think is better.

Also displaying the date of the recording is good but for me I only like to know the year. The rest, to me, doesn't matter. Now you can fit in track number of queue number.

Also I do t get a lot of album art displayed, just some. Any reason?

Hi @mhouston,

When songs are queued in the Playlist the y part of track x/y is not available from MPD.

Album art not being displayed could have many causes. You would need to provide more information about the issue for example the audio formats affected, whether its embedded art in the files or album art image file in the album folder, and also a download link to a zip file containing some files that exhibit the issue so I could try to repro.

-Tim

| "Tutu" - 150W Tripath Class D monoblocks | | "Silver Supreme" - 6L6GC-12AT7 SE UL power amp | | "retro-4040" - 40W LM3876T Chip amp

Very far off topic-

RCA introduced the 6L6 pentode when my dad was a teenager. It was already decades old (and cheap!) when my generation used it in audio and RF amplifiers in the late 50s/early 60s. It was soon eclipsed by the EL34, but what a triumph to long-dead engineers to have it still in use in serious kit today.

Regards,
Kent

I have looked at this sort of thing previously for use with UPMPDCLI using Grace note and one of the issues is that you can't guarantee you query brings back the particular album you are expecting.

Most radio stations only populate the icy metadata with the track and artist and so your api request is short of info means that the database source has to guess the album which does not always match the album being used by the radio station.

Also I had occasions of the database and the radio station differing on names causing the wrong artist and hence wrong album to be selected, especially if there are accented characters in the name.

The best solution is to check the Radio station itself, however not all of them display the current track data, or make easily available the album artwork and never in a standardised manner.

Some Radio stations don't even supply the supply meta data (shame on you BBC).

The BBC absolutely supplies a huge amount of data with their stream, but it's not embedded or multiplexed in the stream, you need to access the D/b via their API.

Theirs is probably the most advanced streaming media infrastructure anywhere in the world.

Search this thread for BBC and API, I've posted about it before, including details of the structure.

Ah yes, I was wondering whether I could spoof it. Did you change yours by hand or use MAC Changer?

Another option might be to buy a number of Ethernet adaptors from different manufacturers - they should *<cough>* have different addresses.......or even go wireless!

:D

I used Mac Changer, but it was quite a while ago - I use wireless mainly now, and only revert to ethernet if I need to troubleshoot - usually one at a time. I did buy some from "different" ebay suppliers, but the cheap ones I bought still all had the same Mac..... Good luck! Adrian

The BBC absolutely supplies a huge amount of data with their stream, but it's not embedded or multiplexed in the stream, you need to access the D/b via their API.

Theirs is probably the most advanced streaming media infrastructure anywhere in the world.

Search this thread for BBC and API, I've posted about it before, including details of the structure.
Yes but as far as I it is not available to anyone out side of the BBC, I would happily accept this over icy meta data if I could get to it.

Very far off topic-

RCA introduced the 6L6 pentode when my dad was a teenager. It was already decades old (and cheap!) when my generation used it in audio and RF amplifiers in the late 50s/early 60s. It was soon eclipsed by the EL34, but what a triumph to long-dead engineers to have it still in use in serious kit today.

Regards,
Kent
Still off thread, I was given a number of 1944 JAN 6L6 metal tubes NOS but a little rusty. I hand sanded them back and sprayed with high temp black paint. The 6L6 GCs are JJs. The military ones in the amp with carbon film resistors sounds the best. Both amps share the one external tranni box saving $120 each amp. Great sounding tubes very fast.