Monster HTS 3600 MKII

All the MOVs and Thermal fuses OK
Checked and unit tries to power up, but I hear the main power relays kicking in and then right back off and the cycle repeats about every 30s.

Unit powers up fine with the "control" board unplugged and the un-switched outlets are fine. I do believe that one of the regulators have gone up in smoke and that's whats causing this...

However...
I did find someone on eBay refurbishing these units and this was the list:
THIS UPGRADE INVOLVES REPLACING ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1- 5 VOLT, TWO AMP, FIXED, POSITIVE, LINEAR ANALOG VOLTAGE REGULATOR IC $ 0.74
1- 12 VOLT, TWO AMP, FIXED, POSITIVE, LINEAR ANALOG VOLTAGE REGULATOR IC $ 0.78
19 - 1N4007 SILICON RECTIFIERS $ 2.66
5 - 2N4401BU TRANSISTORS $ 0.95
11 - 2N4403BU TRANSISTORS $ 2.42
1 - KA431AZBU Voltage & Current References Shunt Regulator 2.5V Programmable $ 0.46
1 - KSP44BU HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSISTOR $ 0.13
1 - LM358N DUAL OP AMP IC CHIP $ 0.37
3 - MPS-A29 DARLINGTON TRANSISTORS $ 1.32
2 - SMALL VARISTORS $ 1.06
18 - LARGE VARISTORS $45.00
8 - RADIAL ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS $ 7.41
2 - INPUT POWER SWITCHING RELAY $ 4.12
2 - OUTPUT POWER SWITCHING RELAYS $ 5.76
2 - SMALL THERMAL CUTOFFS $ 2.18
15 - LARGE THERMAL CUTOFFS $ 21.15
1 - POWER RESISTOR $ 0.64
1 - METAL FILM, TYPE "X", ACROSS-THE-LINE CAPACITORS $ 2.92
PARTS TOTAL: $100.07

Last edited:
Hoping to resurrect this ancient thread and ask if OP ever figured out the problem. I just came upon a HTS 3600 that does not power on as well and I'm looking for any suggestions. There is nothing obvious wrong inside. I'm getting 120VAC to the main board and would like to hear experiences before I go too much further.

A bit of testing revealed that the main power transformer had given up. The primary side had no resistance, so it was done. I removed it and checked the part numbers of the two voltage regulators, hoping for some clue about the transformer secondary voltage. The regulators were 12V and 5V, so a 12V transformer should do. I soldered in a spare 12V transformer and put everything back together. She works like a champ now! I'm not sure what caused the transformer to fail in the first place, but she has been running for several days now without an issue.

Problems with my HTS 3600 MKII

This is my first post in this forum, so I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum or thread for this.

I came across this thread in searching for a solution to an issue with my HTS 3600 MKII.

I came across this video Monster HTS 3600 MKII not working - YouTube that shows the same thing as happening to mine. I had replaced some gear and moved some gear around with no issues. A couple nights later, I heard a buzzing/humming noise that sounded like it was coming from the 3600. Turns out it was not coming from the 3600; it was coming from an LED lightbulb in my ceiling light. However, in researching the noise, I touched the "Dimmer" knob on the 3600, and the unit died and started the clicking cycle like in that video. (I wonder if some sort of static discharge triggered something or if there is some sort of short in that knob???) Anyhow, I read the various comments in the link I provided and decided to order those black relays. They arrived today, and I replaced them. This did not fix the issue. Ugh. I think I might try to replace the white relays now??? The clicking definitely is coming from one of those, but I think that is part of the start-up process anyway, right? Thanks in advance for any ideas.