Monsoon speaker parts

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now testing the planars. Pretty happy with the sound. They are much lower efficiency than my standard speakers.

Attachments

• 20221204_141118.jpg
    20221204_141118.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: 1 user
i recently came across monsoon pc speakers, i think they are either mh500/700 its just the speakers with small din 4 connectors like old s-vhs connectors i presume when the connetors are cut off i would only need to connect 2 of the four wires to an amp to run them?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
i recently came across monsoon pc speakers, i think they are either mh500/700 its just the speakers with small din 4 connectors like old s-vhs connectors i presume when the connetors are cut off i would only need to connect 2 of the four wires to an amp to run them?
No, mh500 have one pair of wires for planar tweeter, one pair for small 3" junky fullrange. I have seen no crossover inside the satelite speakers. Must be inside the controller.
If you want to use planar and mid, you need to use four wires, or implement crossover, then from crossover you can run one pair of wires to the amp.
Crossover point is 1500Hz.
Too low in my opinion. But poor mid is much worse, so it does not matter after all.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No, mh500 have one pair of wires for planar tweeter, one pair for small 3" junky fullrange. I have seen no crossover inside the satelite speakers. Must be inside the controller.

I disassembled many of these and every one had a passive XO (cap+inductor). no pics of one, there are probably still some downstairs somewhere.

Pics of the rest:

monsoon-2FR.jpg

monsoon-mh502-ribbons.jpg

monsoon-MM500.jpg

dave

IIRC both the 2 way MH500 statelites anf the 700 panels had RCAs on the end of their cables. The controller had a multipin connector. Pictures?

dave
thats what i had assumed as well but to my untrained eye they look like svhs connectors

i just took a gamble on this thinking i could wire them up to a usb dac with hypex amp along with a old small m&k subwoofer i had in storage

9t51JHbm.jpg

WGNy7zmm.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to use planar and mid, you need to use four wires, or implement crossover, then from crossover you can run one pair of wires to the amp.
Crossover point is 1500Hz.
Too low in my opinion. But poor mid is much worse, so it does not matter after all.
so if i cut the wires which how do i work out which wires belong to the plana and fullrage? would i be ok combing each of the positive cables and negatives to go into the amp?

well i cut the connector off i got 1 red, 1 green, 1 black and 1 white. from trial and error red and green are planar not sure which one counts as black and red on my amp sockets and the little speaker is black and white. these speakers were an impulse buy for my pc but sound decent

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you decide to do something better with those, remove the monsoon logo, its just glued with hot glue. There is one screw under. This holds entire metal grill. However, they use sticky stuff all around, you need to use some force to remove it.
Then you are facing the drivers, each held in place by four screws.

If you decide to do something better with those, remove the monsoon logo, its just glued with hot glue. There is one screw under. This holds entire metal grill. However, they use sticky stuff all around, you need to use some force to remove it.
Then you are facing the drivers, each held in place by four screws.
was wondering how to take it apart. but seeing as its working fine paired with a small old sub i had lying around that will do me fine

well new years eve, an i have just unearthed a minty MM-1000 set with working sub, only problem is the sub needs a stepdown power converter as i am in the uk, so i wont be using it. hooking the speakers up to a 50w dac/amp and sound sweet.

i may either sell the sub or at least try and upgrade it at some point