Monarch / Neckermann 1960s first generation solid state receiver recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
good morning,

I just got an interesting amp, low-powered, obviously very early solid state, semi-complimentary like the sansui 3000A, obviously also transformer-coupled PP splitter stage, sanyo germanium output transistors, more germaniums inside, the whole build tube-amp style wired without PCBs.

amazing and fascinating. amp is working, nice open bassy sound, a little soft. recap needs to be done to bring out the treble more and to open it up.

but what amp is this? I really need a schematics to proceed. obviously it was sold in germany by neckermann mail-order shop, number is 821/756. I found "monarch" on a tuner stage PCB (see pic).

any ideas who build this? seemingly early japanese. or US? makes me think, apart of the sansui, of fisher, 600-T. see pics (sorry for dusty iphone cam)

thanks for help!

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• monarch1.jpg
    monarch1.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 114
  • monarch2.jpg
    monarch2.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 116
Monarch Electronics International Inc., 7035 Laurel Canyon Blvd., North Hollywood, California (1962).
Manufacturer/importer of (Japanese made) transistor radios & HIFI equipment in the 1960/70s. See also Monarch, King Manufacturing Corp.

On March 22 in 1962 Monarch Electronics International Inc. filed a U.S. federal trademark registration for the trademark "MONACOR".
Monarch purchased also a "Concertone" brand in 1968, and in 1969 "Cal-Best Electronics" for manufacturing of 4- and 8-track players

thanks for the heads up!
does anyone know where to dig in order to understand what model my receiver is, and to dig even deeper for a schematics?
this has a really amazing deep bass, even for its obvious low power. must have a very low damping factor, like the sansui 3000A. plus a sweet treble. no grain at all.
so I would love to hear how it sounds recapped-upgraded.

The output impedance of these types of amps can actually be quite high since global feedback is kept low due to transformer bandwidth limitations, phase shift etc. and the need for large emitter resistors to stabilize the germanium transistors. I have played with a couple units that had nearly 1 ohm output impedance (a generic japanese model). But for all their technical faults they are a pleasure to listen to. I would go ahead and trace out the circuit myself since finding a schematic may be nigh impossible since it's impossible to tell who the original designer/manufacturer was. If the tuner section works as it should I would leave it be and focus on the pre and power amp sections.

yes, tracing it out myself might be the only option. but that will take a loooong time. and be error-prone.

but still, maybe someone in seeing the pics screams: I know this, I have this, I have the original user manual...

(on the upper side 2 2000uF 25v radial caps with on smaller 470uF between, the two transformers, the mains transformer, and 2 tuner pcbs, one with stuff on it I never saw, looks like coils standing upright?)

on the back DIN connectors only.

I have never seen in any amp what shows the bottom side foto, no pcb's at all. really high wow factor. and yes, total listening pleasure, something very sweet and smooth. thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.