Modding Maggie SMG's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a pair of original Maggie SMG's (not a/b/c versions) that I'm thinking about tweaking...does anyone have personal experiences with crossover mods that are worth it for these?

Worth it to bi-amp? Coming from a car audio background for the last couple years I've installed a fair number of actively bi-amped setups, wondering if anyone's running their SMG's or other Maggies like this and how it worked out for you.

:cool:

The SMGs have a nicely designed series crossover that is considered by many to be one of the best stock designs Magnepan has done. I have upgraded my caps in my SMGAs but thats it. Biamping is a good way of getting more watts to the them but a nice thing about the SMGs is they are RELATIVELY efficient. I think their lure for me is their good sound, small size and simplicity.

The SMG is fairly old and before you start with XO mods, you might check out the diaphrams/wiring first (if you havent done so already).

You should snoop around at the Planar forum. Lots of technical information available plus every conceivable mod has been discussed.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.