Mod CDP SONY 950

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everybody,
Thx ide2003
Indonesia.gif
for the offer but I think I've already find them, they are not in a super quality scan but enought to be read. if you have a better version I m interested

for the future viewers of this topic that I hope very detailed soon; Service Manuals can be found here (2 dl free per day):
-http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult

I've used the LM4562 Op-amp in my Sony DVP-S7000. Sounds real nice. Dropped right in and no other mods were necessary. In the same player, I replaced all the caps in the audio section with similar value Nichicon KZ's & FG's. Replacing the RCA chassis jacks with some fully gold plated (inside & out) ones and running a wire between the output-coupling caps and the new RCA jacks is another good mod.

I've used the LM4562 Op-amp in my Sony DVP-S7000. Sounds real nice. Dropped right in and no other mods were necessary. In the same player, I replaced all the caps in the audio section with similar value Nichicon KZ's & FG's. Replacing the RCA chassis jacks with some fully gold plated (inside & out) ones and running a wire between the output-coupling caps and the new RCA jacks is another good mod.

Hi, thx for your idea, i've heard about the Nichicon Muse KZ caps, same thought,
I will also replace for the analog RCA jacks with gold plate once. However, can u let us have detailed pictures of your board, and show us the way u soldered the wire to RCA jack from the Caps? I am so interested with this subject.

Thanks& cheers

Thanks for all buddies here help me so much for the DIY works.

After 2 weeks of discussion, collect material and information, i have some thing to so you now.

1. Material :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2 OPAMP : OP275 i bought from local shop in Vietnam 5$/pair.
2 socket for easy removal of the OP (very cheap)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DAC decoupling caps;
- 12 caps Epcos Siemen 0.1uF/100V for normal pins
- 02 caps Wima FKP2 2.2nF/100V for the 13/18 pins

And the board before mode:

After mod:

After mod #1 done, what have we here:
- Sound stage wider, deeper,
- Singer stand right in the middle , abit to front against audience
- Voice is sweeter , melody slower like tubes.
- Bass is deeper, round, and much better than before as my ear said.
- all musical instruments plays natural sound.

I feel that is the brand new CD i made are much better than old CDP 950.

I am looking for the next steps and i really need you to give more advices and suggestions like these.

Thanks again and cheers. I am a amateur and new member for DIY and it is assure that we can do if we love to do it.

Hoang Do

yup, a S1 is definitely a jump compared with a non A congratulation chaotri :)
agreed with Mooly, I liked 2604 better than the sterile 2134
@ dovuhoang, can you measure the value of red FKP? (old ones are green) it reads 2200pF if I'm not wrong, if so you should replace it with 1uF

Hi,
I can not bypass the Mute transitors, i connect (+) from pin 7 of R-chanel Opamp and pin 1 of Left Chanel Opamp. Ground (-) from pin 5 of DAC.

But sound is too small and ambience. and noise. Once i touch the amplifier for mass contact, the noise is lower but still ambienced and to small.

Use the traditional way through mutting transmitors give the better result. as first step.

Can any one have this problem and solution?

yup, a S1 is definitely a jump compared with a non A congratulation chaotri :)
agreed with Mooly, I liked 2604 better than the sterile 2134
@ dovuhoang, can you measure the value of red FKP? (old ones are green) it reads 2200pF if I'm not wrong, if so you should replace it with 1uF

Hi, i have heard so many people talking about this issue. What is the meaning of the capasitor value here? Some said we should use as bigger as possible <4 uF, some said 2. I see the major number said 2 -2.2.

May be i will change to hear the difference, but im doub of it.

TDA1541 S is too much expensive for the old 950 Sony. I suppose to change to an A - R1 version.

Thanks and cheers

CAPS MOVE...

I do some modification t2night.
1. Return the 2 dourex caps to the places.
2. Use 1 Elna 1000uF 35V for the caps Nichicon near the Input Power station.
3. There are 2 Elna 4700uF - 16V nearby, i dont know what are they doing.

After doing this, i got the sound smooth, detail, bass strong, however, the bass is hard, and not "round".

I use the removed Nichicon 1000uF 35V replace to the SME 1000uF 16V on top of the board, above the muting section and between RCA and Power, I dont not what is the function of this Cap.

Now, i turn CD on and listen to the Hiend Drum CD, Wow, that is incredible sound, the bass is deeper and round, soft, and comfortable. Details still good, everything is better now.

The bass from the Celio is now clear, charm and not boom boom as before. The guitar is beautiful and detail as present in front of my face.

send you some pictures for see what i did.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have to moved 3 small cap 100uF to the other side of the board for this Big Guy.

Now i definetely love my SONY CDP 950. It is absolutely no more a Lo-End CDP.
No NOS or tubes or Lampizator....needed here. I love this natural and original sound. Next step may be the replacement of TDA1541A - R1.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
I can not bypass the Mute transitors, i connect (+) from pin 7 of R-chanel Opamp and pin 1 of Left Chanel Opamp. Ground (-) from pin 5 of DAC.

But sound is too small and ambience. and noise. Once i touch the amplifier for mass contact, the noise is lower but still ambienced and to small.

Use the traditional way through mutting transmitors give the better result. as first step.

Can any one have this problem and solution?

To bypass the muting transistors... well you can't. You have to either remove them or use a FET as I mentioned earlier.

Where did you get the connecting pin 1 and 7 stuff from ?

Also you can not just bypass any of the opamp stages as they form a filter to remove HF noise from the DAC conversion process.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.