mission speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I have tried to send this message to mission but cannot get a reply wondering if you guys could help ...

Hi I have a pair of mission 35i and the sound quality has got gradually worse recently,
I have looked at the crossovers and found the capacitor C1 quite bulged
on the top, would this cause the poor sound quality?.
written on the cap is 8u2. 63v

yes that electrolytic capacitor is burst, probably dried out and over voltaged. Someone was playing them LOUD!
just replace the electrolytic 8.2 uF with another, maybe 100V rated instead, and it will be good as new.
Thats presuming the tweeter hasnt been damaged ay the failing capacitor. Replace it, listen and hope

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply is that a normal way for the cap to be labelled as I wasn't sure of the value ? Also I tested by various methods. My analogue ohm meter needle did kick but only a little bit , my esr meter couldn't read it at all , and I've just got a pair of smart tweezers they seemed to be all over the place ,,

yes 8u2 is 8.2uF. Similarly to a resistor label, 1R1 would be 1.1 Ohm. Id suggest replacing the capacitor with a 8.2uF electrolytic 80V or 100V rating, and a non-polarised type. It should be easy to find at maplins, or online at CPC or Farnell, or RS. You may as well replace this part in BOTH speakers. It would be worth checking the box with the duff cap, after replacement, so you can check the tweeter hasnt been damaged.

Suggest an inexpensive Film and Foil capacitor instead :)
Close to the rated uF is 'good enough' IMO given the usual 20% tolerance/variance of those things.
But DO change in both speakers.
Do you really need to be so frugal as to replicate it with a proven lo quality failure prone part?

Found something on ePay for you. 1.083$ each when shipping is payed for. They are sold as batch of 10, maybe you can sort out a matched best value pair. Film caps are a beguiling option but in such budget networks some cheapo electrolytic ESR is probably designed in.

thanks for that, although the pin configuration for these is in line i think i may struggle to get these onto the board as there are several other components close to its location

maplin usually have a small range of axial non polarised electrolytics, im unsure of the voltage rating they keep, but 8uF or 8.2uF is a common value so i expect they would have it. It may be worth checking their website and or phoning the store to check they have in stock, but it should be much cheaper than mailing from RS for such a small order.

i have to say i wasnt sure what values maplin stock, they USED to stock a handful of values, of which i thought was 8uF. I guess their range has shrunk further :(
at a push you could use 2 3.3uF and a 2.2 for 8.8u total, in parallel, but its not ideal for mounting on the current board, and 8uF would be the better match anyway. Falcon or wilmslow audio are worth a look, as Sreten suggested.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.