Minidsp nanodigi 2x8 vs 4x10hd?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The NanoDIGI uses a single S/PDIF input feeding IIR filters and equalization to eight S/PDIF outputs - so it's basically a DAC-less digital signal processor.

If you understand its sample rate (96kHz I think) and filter topology limitations and work within them it's a pretty effective and cheap way to create a stereo system that operates primarily in the digital domain.

The MiniDIGI 4x10HD is essentially an analog in/analog out device with its own A-D and D-A internal DACs, a significantly improved and more modern DSP engine, and the ability to perform FIR filtering which should provide greater linearity and better phase characteristics - yeah, it IS more $$$, but there's actually more bang in the box - if you want to operate primarily in the analog domain.

What puzzles me is why MiniDSP have chosen not to make a NanoDIGI HD - there's certainly a market for this device.

It occurs to me that it makes perfect sense to source your digital music from a computer/streamer, a Raspberry Pi, or a CD/Blu Ray transport - process it in the digital domain on a NanoDIGI HD, and then export via S/PDIF to DAC/Amp pairs located right behind your speakers - thereby minimising the losses, distortions, and phase shifts in the analog domain.

But then what do I know, I'm just a one-eyed audiophile with bad hair, a dirty raincoat, and an old Peugeot convertible ....

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Neither the nanoDIGI or 4x10HD unit can perform FIR filtering. (You need to shift to a different miniDSP product for that capability.)
The nanoDIGI and 4x10HD are similar in their DSP capabilities (IIR only) but with the obvious lack of analog circuitry, I/O, and turn-key features in the nanoDIGI.

Dave.

Neither the nanoDIGI or 4x10HD unit can perform FIR filtering. (You need to shift to a different miniDSP product for that capability.)
The nanoDIGI and 4x10HD are similar in their DSP capabilities (IIR only) but with the obvious lack of analog circuitry, I/O, and turn-key features in the nanoDIGI.

Dave.

Yeah - how silly of me to assume that the 'HD' suffix on the "4x10 HD" model implied that the existing 4x10 analog board had been also upgraded with the MiniSHARC processor like on this unit:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-hd

In which case I'd go with the NanoDIGI 'B' model which gives eight S/PDIF outputs and supports 192Kbit data rates, and then feed a decent quality DAC into a stereo amp per side with highs on one amp channel and mids on the other - leaving you four channels for bass foolishness.

Sorry for the confusion - I was stupidly posting from my phone...

Jim

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Actually, that's incorrect also. The nanoDIGI unit does not support 192khz sampling rate. Only up to 96khz, the same as the 4x10Hd unit.

Regarding possible DAC's: If a user would be using I2S input DAC's, then a switch to the miniSHARC-based units might be preferrable since that board has I2S outputs and has more horsepower to support FIR filtering, if so desired.

The various options/features/performance of the miniDSP units can be confusing. I suggest to review their website.

Cheers,

Dave.

Actually, that's incorrect also. The nanoDIGI unit does not support 192khz sampling rate. Only up to 96khz, the same as the 4x10Hd unit.

Regarding possible DAC's: If a user would be using I2S input DAC's, then a switch to the miniSHARC-based units might be preferrable since that board has I2S outputs and has more horsepower to support FIR filtering, if so desired.

The various options/features/performance of the miniDSP units can be confusing. I suggest to review their website.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave -

Unless I've seriously misread this specifications sheet:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/nanodigi-2x8-b

It does look like the 'B' model has changed from just accepting 192k input and then downconverting it to 96k to a "Sample rate 28-56 bit / up to 192 kHz" and outputs a "Supported sample rate: equivalent to the DSP sample rate..."

Which statements lead this careless and under-educated observer to conclude that the new 'B' model will passthrough 192k x 24bit signals.

And yeah - while much improved, the miniDSP site can be a <bit> confusing....

Cheers

Jim

Account Closed
Joined 2001
If you look at the appropriate plugin/datasheet page, you'll see the only version available operates at 96khz.

"As per the miniDSP concept, its is the plug-in which defines the ability of the platform and therefore its sampling rate."

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/4x10-10x10-plug-ins/nanodigi-2x8-plug-in-detail
https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-2x8 nanoDIGI plug-in.pdf

To my knowledge, there has never been a plugin option available for the nanoDIGI unit OTHER than 96khz.
That said, a 192khz plugin would be a silly idea anyway since the available PEQ processing power would be further reduced.
An additional software plugin for the nanoDIGI (if ever made available) should be 48khz and not 192khz. In fact, there have been requests made for a 48khz version previously.

Cheers,

Dave.

MiniDSP reply to NanoDIGI B question

Had to contact the MiniDSP Devteam about another issue and also asked:

"please let us know what the new model’s maximum bit density is, and what changes over the original model have been made."

Their response was prompt and succinct:

"→ Input is flexible here knowing it’s going through an ASRC so it’s 44.1~192kHz
→ Output FS is based on the operating frequency of the plugin (similar concept for all platform). In this case, the plugin runs at 96k. So even if you input 192k, it will still output 96k.
Hoping this info helps"

Davey is correct, the NanoDIGI's software-limited output is functionally 96 kHz - which, as long as the NanoDIGI continues to use the ADAU1445 DSP, will remain it's limit because this chip lacks sufficient DSP power to process higher bit rates.

So, returning to the original poster's question - I think that the 4x10 HD is pretty spendy unless you need to use its balanced analog outputs - I'd be tempted to use a OpenDRC-8 for a $100 less and get FIR filters plus 8 unbalanced analog outputs.

My system uses a NanoDIGI feeding three DACs - two AKM 4495's immediately behind the main speakers for mid and high channels, and a BB 1793 DAC for a floor-mounted infinite baffle subwoofer.

This is a relatively cheap, very functional system - that within its limitations can be quite satisfying to listen to.

Cheers
Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.