miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know what a "bridge wire" is.

Dave.

On unbalanced 2 wire rca, plugging them into the balanced connection requires the earth (edit..shield..still sipping coffee) to negative wire, like in this pic.

The amplifier I'm using for subs is an NU4-6000, which has balanced inputs. The amplifier for my mids and highs is an older Carver amplifier, which doesn't offer balanced.

What I need to know is, if I run 3 wire balanced to subs (using all 3 wires from the phoenix block for those two outputs) and then hook the other 6 channels balanced -> single ended (using the bridge wire like the pic) will that cause any output stage havoc, or should it be able to handle that without issue?

Attachments

• balanced-to-unbalanced.jpg
    balanced-to-unbalanced.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Ah. Yeah, those jumpers are not necessary and not recommended. (I don't care what it says in the owner manual.) All they do is take one side of the active signal to ground via the internal output resistance. There's no benefit in that at all.

All the output stages (all 16) are completely independent of one another. So, you can mix/match any way you chose.

Dave.

Ah. Yeah, those jumpers are not necessary and not recommended. (I don't care what it says in the owner manual.) All they do is take one side of the active signal to ground via the internal output resistance. There's no benefit in that at all.

All the output stages (all 16) are completely independent of one another. So, you can mix/match any way you chose.

Dave.

Beautiful, thanks very much for the help!

Now I just need it to warm up a bit today so I can drag one of these beastly new speakers outside for some actual crossover tuning.

Attachments

• SAM_0191.JPG
    SAM_0191.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 238
I'm thinking of using miniDSP for a sound system equalization in my dance studio.
Can it be relied upon, can I be safe from sudden stutters, glitches, reboots, config resets and so on?

Second question:
Can I connect 4 Potentiometer to miniDSP to the effect of 4-band equalizer of the input signal? That would be applied to input signal, before all the crossovering and channel splitting?

I'm thinking of using miniDSP for a sound system equalization in my dance studio.
Can it be relied upon, can I be safe from sudden stutters, glitches, reboots, config resets and so on?

Second question:
Can I connect 4 Potentiometer to miniDSP to the effect of 4-band equalizer of the input signal? That would be applied to input signal, before all the crossovering and channel splitting?

Should be safe from all that, yeah. I've never had anything like that happen, the only type of issue even sorta related to that is sometimes you can get turn on / off thumps..but all you have to do to avoid that is make sure the amplifier is the last thing switched on. I just leave all my dsp boards running 24/7, the power draw is negligible.

Second question, I'm not sure what you mean..yes you can connect pots to the input if you want to, however all the input / output levels can be adjusted from inside the software.

I just bought the 2x4 with the rear/center plug in. Got this one to control a sub and needed the higher delay capability.

What is the frequency range that I can establish for the HPF/LPF ?

Anything from 10hz (I think) to 20khz, you really can make just about any reasonable filter you want.

Wanted to make sure there were not LPF limitations in terms of how low I could go for the center/mono output on the center/rear plug-in.

You know this for certain?

I don't see why that plugin would have limitations the others don't..and that would be quite a silly limitation..I'm going to go with 98% certain, 30hz is doable.

Edit: The datasheet for the plugin is not specific, and the entry box where you can type in the frequency you want looks identical to all 3 of the plugins I own, so..I'll make that number 99.9%.

Last edited:
I don't see why that plugin would have limitations the others don't..and that would be quite a silly limitation..I'm going to go with 98% certain, 30hz is doable.

Edit: The datasheet for the plugin is not specific, and the entry box where you can type in the frequency you want looks identical to all 3 of the plugins I own, so..I'll make that number 99.9%.

What made me wonder was that output is designed for a Center channel. Setting the Low pass at 30hz would be very unusual for that application.

What made me wonder was that output is designed for a Center channel. Setting the Low pass at 30hz would be very unusual for that application.

My center is good all the way down to 20 :) I don't use that plugin, though..I've only got the 10x10, 2way and 4way...but when I looked at the data sheet on minidsp.com, the spot where you can enter a crossover frequency in the filter is a text entry box, just like the ones I've got..and they don't ever make any assumptions / limitations about speakers.

My center is good all the way down to 20 :) I don't use that plugin, though..I've only got the 10x10, 2way and 4way...but when I looked at the data sheet on minidsp.com, the spot where you can enter a crossover frequency in the filter is a text entry box, just like the ones I've got..and they don't ever make any assumptions / limitations about speakers.

A LPF set at 30hz would mean only using the speaker BELOW 30hz basically.

I would more comfortable if someone with that precise plug-in could tell me. But hopefully your right. I am using this plug-in to control a sub. If I cant go down to 30hz, maybe 35hz, its a useless plug-in for me.

Last edited:
I don't see the cheapness in it, since it brings nothing new, it clones excisting gear and put it together, it can be easy, but unnecessary....it comes in handy with the crossover section.
And room correction means your system or room suck. A little rough said, but now peoples ain't gonna spend money where the problem is, it just takes away feedback freq and covers bad build speakers. It's great voor pa , they've got little choice , but it's nice for surround peoples . It goes together with smps, which ain't cheap, buying a good one and will break down a lot faster anyway, then conventional systems. It's a bit like that channel badcaps.***. Blaming the caps that their motherboard, with still everything without watercooling , that the caps blow while gaming and having a 80 euro psu... yes those are bad, 200euro and watercooling and nothing breaks. Dsp is perfect for audio , not for stereo hifi.
Greatings richard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.