MiniDSP and LinkwitzLab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems that mr. Linkwitz, a long-time analog proponent, is very happy with the performance of MiniDSP and is now offering the DSP config file for his LX521. Davey, a resident expert here had done the work !

linkwitzlab.com/LX521/DSP_challenge.htm

Our longtime contributor and highly respected supporter of the OPLUG, known as 'Davey', sent me a DSP prototype to which I have listened now for many hours. I am quite impressed. Its performance appears to be on par with the LX521 ASP. I will investigate further. It is an alternative to the ASP.

So congratulations to MiniDSP team :)

It's now very tempting to build these !

port-09.jpg

Wow, we were not aware at all that Dave was up to this challenge! (though he's a busy guy so hard to track him.. ;-) Thanks for sharing Gainphile.

Great stuff Dave and congrats for using the nanoDIGI in this application.That's certainly some great work and knowing your involvement in the SL & miniDSP community, we're fortunate that you were able to convince Mr Linkwitz with your implementation.

Did you build this XML file with the intend of providing the file for sale? Feel free to get in touch with us to talk about it. We'd be happy to help you on our website!

DevTeam

Account Closed
Joined 2001
If there was a way to connect a set of ODACs to a nanodigi I think I would be in DSP heaven.

Actually, you could...with some work. But it would be more trouble than it's worth. :)

The DAC part of the ODAC is a simple ESS9023 chip configuration. A few DIY'ers (myself included) have already implemented these on a separate board that could be interconnected to a suitable I2S source.

The current nanoDIGI board doesn't bring the I2S signals to an accessible header, but rumor has it the next version will. This would (possibly) allow a custom daughter card of some sort that implements four ESS9023 DAC's to attach directly to the nanoDIGI board for a very clean and compact eight-channel output solution.

Cheers,

Dave.

I certainly hope that a future nanoDIGI will break out the I2S signals. Eight channels of very high quality digital volume control would make the gain staging a bit easier. Four ES9023 DAC's will fit on a board roughly the size of the nanoDIGI even when you give each one pretty decent power supplies.

Yes, great stuff indeed! :) Thanks @ David Reite for all his good work with the platform and showcasing a very good setup to Mr Linkwitz!

To those of you wondering about the nanoDIGI 2x8 with I2S header, it's indeed in the works. New prototype was just finalized. We hope to start a manufacturing batch sometime next month. Will keep you updated.

DevTeam

Yes, great stuff indeed! :) Thanks @ David Reite for all his good work with the platform and showcasing a very good setup to Mr Linkwitz!

To those of you wondering about the nanoDIGI 2x8 with I2S header, it's indeed in the works. New prototype was just finalized. We hope to start a manufacturing batch sometime next month. Will keep you updated.

DevTeam

Any updates on the nanoDIGI 2x8 with I2S header?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Yes indeed, but with the usual real-world qualifications that come with that objective. Only valid at a single point in space, etc, etc.
But you can certainly unwrap the phase response of the associated crossovers used in the Orion system.

If you have a digital source the OpenDRC-DI would be the preferable unit since you'd avoid digital/analog conversions.

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.