MiniDsp and Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been doing some searching for MiniDsp related experiences in this forum and have only found a few mentions. I'm considering trying out FR drivers for the first time but am aware of the compromises on the low end. Since I have a few woofers lying around (7" RS180s and 8" RS225s) I thought maybe I could just make them into bass bins and use the MiniDsp to crossover to a simple Bass reflex FR at ~300hz. This way staying out of the midrange and no passive parts in the signal path (dunno if MiniDsp would affect the FR 'magic').

Am I wrong in this? Would this not work?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MiniDSP to "correct" Zigmahornet design shortcomings?

I'm currently building a pair of MJK Eminence 15 Alpha OB's.
I'm just about to press the button to order a MiniDSP to utilise as an active XO with them.

It also occurred to me that the MiniDSP could easily be utilised to optimise the response of cabinets such as the Zigmahornet, where it has been recognised that - whilst they image well - their tonal response is not all that it could be.
I plan to try using the MiniDSP with the PEQ plug-in to "tune" my Ziggies.

I'll report back with results.

cheers

Doug

I think I was one of the first to grab a miniDSP. I'm using it as a crossover on the helper woofers in my dipole system, while the crossover to the fullrangers is fully passive/acoustic (a line level cap in combination with the baffle roll off. I've tried a speaker level cap too, but didn't like the sound). I've been meaning to try the miniDSP on the fullrangers to play with notch filters. But I haven't, so I can't comment on how it sounds higher than 150hz. What I can say is that I really like the user interface. It is flat out easy to run and very, very flexible. You don't mention what other components you are using, but keep in mind that the miniDSP has a very low input impedance, so you'd need to use a buffer with some tube gear. I built a simple chip buffer and it works fine. Next on the docket is a tapped horn sub that will use the other two channels of the miniDSP. It seems like the perfect solution there too, as it should allow room correction as well as steep filters for the high pass and the out of band peaks typical of tapped horns.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

I think I was one of the first to grab a miniDSP. I'm using it as a crossover on the helper woofers in my dipole system, while the crossover to the fullrangers is fully passive/acoustic (a line level cap in combination with the baffle roll off. I've tried a speaker level cap too, but didn't like the sound). I've been meaning to try the miniDSP on the fullrangers to play with notch filters. But I haven't, so I can't comment on how it sounds higher than 150hz. What I can say is that I really like the user interface. It is flat out easy to run and very, very flexible. You don't mention what other components you are using, but keep in mind that the miniDSP has a very low input impedance, so you'd need to use a buffer with some tube gear. I built a simple chip buffer and it works fine. Next on the docket is a tapped horn sub that will use the other two channels of the miniDSP. It seems like the perfect solution there too, as it should allow room correction as well as steep filters for the high pass and the out of band peaks typical of tapped horns.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Thanks Paul. Good to know about the input impedance. Happen to know the exact value?

Hi,

I am thinking of using this as well, I also have a DCX2496, I am not sure it is better than DCX, one thing for sure it uses better quality output caps. and the noise level is better than DCX, see this site,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/175810-any-measurements-minidsp.html

For and additional $60 you can get the MINIDigi which can accept a CD player with SPDIF output can plug into and you get all digital all the way till it reaches the amplifier. The total cost is $160 for a 2-way cross over.

Hi,

I am thinking of using this as well, I also have a DCX2496, I am not sure it is better than DCX, one thing for sure it uses better quality output caps. and the noise level is better than DCX, see this site,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/175810-any-measurements-minidsp.html

For and additional $60 you can get the MINIDigi which can accept a CD player with SPDIF output can plug into and you get all digital all the way till it reaches the amplifier. The total cost is $160 for a 2-way cross over.

Excellent. Just what I needed to see, thanks.

This would work fine. It is called FAST. There are quite a few threads on it... here is a good starting point http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/144099-thread-tysen-variations-fast.html

Note that the "official" designation of mid-range ar ethe 4 octaves 160 Hz to 2500 Hz. Male voices will reach down to 80 Hz. Critical telephine band is ~300-3k.

dave

Thanks Dave, I was wondering what FAST meant. Having spent all my time with multi-ways via PE forum and htguide I thought FAST was just a fancy name for 2-ways - but I am starting to see the light:D

I'm contemplating an active 2-way with the EL70 (with ERT supertweeter) crossed at ~350hz. This way I can enjoy FR-friendly genres as well as good ol' prog rock and the occasional Dazed and Confused soundtrack...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.