MiniDSP 2x4 How to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have read the MiniDSP (non HD) has a very low voltage in the output section (0,9volts), which makes it useless when trying to obtain a good and powerful signal to the amplifier... even worse when the amplifier requires a balanced input to go full throttle.

So, is there any way to solve that? and convert the signal to balanced, so I can properly drive an ICEpower 500ASP or similar.

Would be enough an unbalanced to balanced converter with +6gb gain?

Looking forward to your help.

Its a single 3.3V chip I believe, so max p2p output is limited by that. Solutions are more sensitive amplifier or an extra preamp in between, or pick a DSP that's got more output level.

In theory you could use audio signal transformers, but there's problems there too, not the least being expense.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Look up "line level" in Wikipedia. Consumer audio uses a nominal level of 0.316V, and the miniDSP output of 0.9V exceeds that level. So there should be no problem using a miniDSP with properly designed consumer audio equipment. However, as you can see from the table in the Wikipedia article, the 0.9V output is insufficient to meet professional audio line input levels. So if you are trying to use professional audio equipment or balanced inputs, you will need an appropriate amplifier.

Its a single 3.3V chip I believe, so max p2p output is limited by that. Solutions are more sensitive amplifier or an extra preamp in between, or pick a DSP that's got more output level.

In theory you could use audio signal transformers, but there's problems there too, not the least being expense.

Look up "line level" in Wikipedia. Consumer audio uses a nominal level of 0.316V, and the miniDSP output of 0.9V exceeds that level. So there should be no problem using a miniDSP with properly designed consumer audio equipment. However, as you can see from the table in the Wikipedia article, the 0.9V output is insufficient to meet professional audio line input levels. So if you are trying to use professional audio equipment or balanced inputs, you will need an appropriate amplifier.

Thanks for your replies!

It seems that there is no "good" way to use a MiniDSP 2x4 (non HD) with my amp. I should look for the balanced version of the DSP.

Thanks again and good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.