[MINI GAN 5 Amp] Impressions, videos and pictures inside )

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When not posting with the cop hat, I am a regular member here and am posting as a normal forum member. Everyone should know that by now. (it is in the rules)

Actually, I think your reviews are good and well written. The puzzling part is why they are here on a DIY forum instead of on a forum that reviews gear. The reviews seem oddly out of place and therefore I asked why post them here? Since no one else seems to find it strange, allez y! :D

When not posting with the cop hat, I am a regular member here and am posting as a normal forum member. Everyone should know that by now. (it is in the rules)

Actually, I think your reviews are good and well written. The puzzling part is why they are here on a DIY forum instead of on a forum that reviews gear. The reviews seem oddly out of place and therefore I asked why post them here? Since no one else seems to find it strange, allez y! :D

thank you for your understanding and indulgence) I really appreciate )

But what will happen when the Allo TPA3255 amp comes out in a few months, and it is the Newest Shiny Amp that sounds great?!!? They are likely to be about the same price.

relevant question) As per last news : The Allo TPA3255 should be @ Toulouse in the French department. The team has reported an issue with the LLC ultra low noise PSU which is being corrected...

The Mini Gan, however, remains more interesting for those looking for power. I have no idea how much the Allo will cost, but it should be offered in a Full balanced version, a bit like the Sabaj.

By the way : I am waiting for a new brand new Class D Amp, totally made in Italy.. On the Italian forums, it would be a Class D amplifier with unparalleled musicality. Unfortunately, I did not manage to get any information on the technical sheet, the manufacturer keeps everything secret. (as far as I know the amp is about 350W / 8R and 700W / 4R).
The Italian engineer I work with has just completed the development of a new case ... I should be able to get on my hands one evaluation board very soon.

Let s wait, fingers X ;)

Last edited:
Since no one else seems to find it strange, allez y! :D
You're not alone. I can understand why one would post about new commercial units, to point out flaws or at the contrary a nice technical trick. That can help diyers. But a purely subjective review with mostly comparaisons to other commercial units ?

I wouldn't be against a subforum for these kind of topics though. Seems a good idea.

Good idea 00940, maybe a sub forum?
I certainly appreciate an independent source of comparisons/observations and subjective opinions of new and interesting gear.
Please note, such a forum would require good mods will be required... To stop the vested interests selling their wears by the back door and or paying their friends to recommend their kit and find fault's with the competition.

But what will happen when the Ultimate XYZ1234 amp comes out in a few months, and it is the Newest Shiny Amp that sounds *insert longer chain of superlatives here*?!!?

Sorry about that, had to fix your post a bit.

A lot of hype in the world today, you see it everywhere.
I hereby claim my right to remain frugal and not throw my money on every single new thing that comes along.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Got the answer from ClassDaudio :

"... We did use to have the heatsink over the GaN FETs and using thermal compound and also thermal pads. What we found kind of by accident is the amp actually ran a little cooler having the heatsink raised above the FETs like it is and drawing a little heat away from the PCB."

That is a very interesting claim indeed. Air has a much higher thermal impedance than a thermal compound or thermal interface material designed for heat transfer, so one can only wonder what they were doing differently between the two setups to end up having the current solution being more effective at removing heat from the components.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have unintentionally used shorter non-metal standoffs when trying the compound/TIM and that resulted in a higher thermal impedance between the PCB copper and the heatsink, but that would seem like a pretty obvious difference to notice during testing. The GaN FETs have the least thermal impedance through the solder joints and into the PCB copper, which is why pulling heat out of the PCB near the FETs is the best way to cool them down, but surely using the compound/TIM along with metal standoffs between the PCB and heatsink would only further reduce the thermal impedance and improve the thermal transfer. Anyway, this is all speculation.

It's still a cool looking amp (pun intended :cold:). It would be nice the see under the heatsinks as someone already mentioned. Removing that heatsink probably wouldn't void the warranty since it appears to only be attached by two screws.

Last edited:
That is a very interesting claim indeed. Air has a much higher thermal impedance than a thermal compound or thermal interface material designed for heat transfer, so one can only wonder what they were doing differently between the two setups to end up having the current solution being more effective at removing heat from the components.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have unintentionally used shorter non-metal standoffs when trying the compound/TIM and that resulted in a higher thermal impedance between the PCB copper and the heatsink, but that would seem like a pretty obvious difference to notice during testing. The GaN FETs have the least thermal impedance through the solder joints and into the PCB copper, which is why pulling heat out of the PCB near the FETs is the best way to cool them down, but surely using the compound/TIM along with metal standoffs between the PCB and heatsink would only further reduce the thermal impedance and improve the thermal transfer. Anyway, this is all speculation.

It's still a cool looking amp (pun intended ). It would be nice the see under the heatsinks as someone already mentioned. Removing that heatsink probably wouldn't void the warranty since it appears to only be attached by two screws.

Hi,
Thank you for this interesting analysis that changes the peremptory and annoying criticisms received on ASR and like "it's useless, it's absurd decoration, they should have done them in pink etc"

I'm not sure what to think of the manufacturer's response but I've been testing this amp for a few days now, and design error or not ... it's an amp that doesn't heat up much and whose sound is absolutely incredible !
I think my ribbon tweeters have never sounded so good, I find it really sublime in the transcriptions of cymbals, ride, and slipped strings and other instruments that "sing" at the top of the spectrum.

I tried to make a zoomed picture for you so you can see all those discret components :

Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any experience of other high quality class D amp, such as Ncore, Purifi, especially Starkrimson Ultra which also using GaN? Would like to ( at least some level of) DIY, also would prefer linear PS with big caps.

yes absolutely.I think I am one of the members who has tested and owned the most Class D modules and amps. (Purifi, Ncore, all TPA3255 top end, MA12070, IRS, Tripath, TAS3251, TPA3251, Pascal and many others...)

You can read all my reviews here and there. :)

If you like Class D amp with linear PSUs, you would enjoy this Dual Mono Tripath by Poppulse fully balanced, sounds amazing too (with OPA1692 + OPA1656)

Last edited:
The Purifi is great amps whose measurements don't lie )
However, even though measurements make sense and I get used to them often, I always let my ears set the tone for me)

The Mini Gan seems more musical to me and I particularly prefer the rendering of the medium and the highest notes, I am very sensitive to the reproduction of rides, cymbals, hihat and high-pitched notes.

With my Mini Gan + my AK4499 dac, my ribbon speakers just sound very good.

It's probably still a subjective assessment but I love this combo)
The Mini Gan is also more compact and has a gain selector.

Mini Gan 5 vs Purifi with OPA1692

Last edited:
I don't need or want these kind of reviews here. He could be a payed person using this fine forum to make money. He's preferences and idea if sound is unknown //

Hi TNT,
I think you are wrong on my account! I shared the constructor's answers to the questions asked and what is more, I even questioned his good faith! So with all due respect, your feedback has no added value here! ;)

Last edited:
Many people assume that ASR measurements are enough to give credit to an amp, whereas me: I read the measurements, then I buy all the amps because I have the means to do it, but I do it with pleasure and I share my feelings with the community. I have never urged someone to buy such and such an amp, I have no action with any manufacturer.

I don't see evidence that daniboun is making money from his reviews, but I think a more relevant concern is that lately, he seems to fall in love with whatever amp is newest.

This is exactly what happens to all of us. This is why reviews without controlled blind listening situation there is little value to anyone other than the manufacturer who gets the latest good review. Change in the system sounds always good, be it reversed cable or gold plating of the volume pot or bit more SPL than the other, the louder wins. Basically, it is very hard not to be biased even though tried how hard with how good intentions. That is why the controlled blind listening tests are rare, they are expensive to execute properly to get meaningful results.

It is nice to see the innards etc. so thanks for your hard work publishing these daniboun! But everyone should take the sound evaluation with grain of salt, like with any other hifi magazine, add or website.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi TNT,
I think you are wrong on my account! I shared the constructor's answers to the questions asked and what is more, I even questioned his good faith! So with all due respect, your feedback has no added value here! ;)

Yes - but someone could take this devious marketing strategy - thats why I think it is questionable on this kind of site. Thats all I have to say except:

Build/tweak something :)

//