milling machine connection from dryer outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,,, i want to hook up milling machine from my dryer outlet..
all the info is as follow...dryer info 115/230v 24a 60hz 4 wire connection...milling machine have magnetic starter 230v 60hz 2 hp
12A,,,,MOTOR INFO...HP2..VOLT 110/220 AMP31/15 POLE 4 CYCLE 60 RPM1720

I HAVE CORD TO DRYER WHICH HAVE 4 WIRE..RED BLACK,WHITE AND ONE COPPER WIRE..

I HAVE CORD EXT.AWG10 300V
RED. BLACK. WHITE AND ONE COPPER WIRE

PROBLEM IS THERE IS ONLY THREE WIRE COMING OUT OF MAGNETIC STARTER BLACK GREEN WHITE ONE OF WHICH IS EARTH..SO ONLY TWO LEFT TO HOOK UP BUT 3 WIRE FROM CORD HOW I CAN HOOK UP THE MACHINE? ...HOT WIRE ?..HOW...?
THANK ALL YOUR HELP ....IN ADVANCE....

A green wire usually indicates ground, and if I found a bare copper wire in a wall, I would guess it is ground also.

BUT! don't guess if you care about your mill or your house. As a minimum you need a volt meter to check whats live and neutral, and so forth. Does your wall voltage match the mill (230V?)? I'm not much of an electrician (just basic lights/switches/breakers), and what you've got looks like a job for a professional (four wires might be a two phase system, and I wouldn't touch that)...

I HAVE CORD TO DRYER WHICH HAVE 4 WIRE..RED BLACK,WHITE AND ONE COPPER WIRE..

I dunno about Toronto but here it would likely be:
Black - 240v hot
red - 240v (other) hot
white - neutral
bare - ground

a lot of 220v stuff does not need the white neutral, just the 2 hots and ground. I have no idea if you have the same arrangement. Please get pro help if you are not sure.

Hi mpmarino,

In ny experience the average US household, 220 volts is not 240 each leg to the Ground/Common. It is 110 each leg to Ground/Common and 220 from one leg to another. 220 volts AC here is 2 legs of 110 volts completing a sine wave. I am not sure if the terminology is they are "Out of Phase" or what. Is this wrong? Common = Neutral, especially in the breaker panel/box.

millingmachine,

Can you locate an installation manual or is it maybe online? This might help clear up any questions. I don't know what special requirements a four cycle motor needs.

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
Hi mpmarino,

In ny experience the average US household, 220 volts is not 240 each leg to the Ground/Common. It is 110 each leg to Ground/Common and 220 from one leg to another. 220 volts AC here is 2 legs of 110 volts completing a sine wave. I am not sure if the terminology is they are "Out of Phase" or what. Is this wrong? Common = Neutral, especially in the breaker panel/box.

Regards//Keith

Yes, as I said:

red is one 240 leg, black is the other.

Both are *hot * referencing to neutral and ground. Neutral and ground should be the same potential, but are not interchangable for safety reasons.

Measuring between either red OR black and white should read 120v as long as white is neutral.

If the motor is a 240v and only has 2 leads and a ground - you should only need the black, red, and ground.

**This is US - Toronto may or may not be the same**

I must say again ..

Get a pro if you don't know what you are doing!!

EDIT: I haven't measures 110v in over 20 years. It's 120v, but referred to as '110' for nostalgic reasons.

Milling Machine,

Measure from the red wire to black wire... you should have 230-240 Volts.

120 Delta 3 phase would be pretty weird in a house!

OR... find ANY 2 wire combination that will provde 240 Volts... DO NOT INCLUDE THE GROUND WIRE IN THESE MEASUREMENTS.

JUST TO BE SURE... measure from the white wire to the copper wire... should be zero volts.

Those are the two that go to the milling machine... polarity does not matter.

After that be sure to connect the ground wire to the machine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: 1st attemp

millingmachine said:
black and red
breaker went off
will try the other monday morning .
THANKS ALL THE HELP.. STILL NEED MORE INFO...THANKS......
if i find two wire 240 v...they suppose to connect togather? then go to the machine?

I hope you're better with that milling machine than you are with electricity...

Thanks MP.

I just did not read between the lines. I know you know what you are doing, you were yhe only one that was able to accurately explain how an electrician ruined my saw on the hot leg of a three phase circuit (wired to a 110 outlet)!

Poobah, I was struggling with the out of phase explanation too. Thanks!

The best advice has already been advised, GO PRO!

Best wishes to all.

Regards//keith

Status
Not open for further replies.