Midrange driver question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I have buy B&C 8PE21 for my midrange driver in my new 4 way speakers. It would be used from around 300 Hz to 1,6kHz and the crossover will be active.
The question is, which tipe of box would be apropriate for this job?
reflex, closed or maybe even open baffle???

Thanks for help.

Regards.

It's a high efficiency mid with a very low Qts. A suitable sealed enclosure would be very small, which could have negative effects. I don't really see the point in going ported, unless you absolutely have to -to lower the highpass xover point (you already stated 300hz, so I'm assuming this won't be the case). But having a ported mid tends to cause more problems than it's worth imo. I say OB or possibly a horn of some sort (no experience with horns).

Simm'd this in WINISD, for best response sealed box is 1 L ! and -3dB at ~300Hz; you'd have to get your xover spot on...
A more practical size is ~4 L, -3dB at 400Hz. Probably best to move your xover point higher.

In a ported box, 4L , 150Hz, -3db is ~150Hz. You could port the enclosure & close it if the port causes problems, but if you're going 4 way (why?), probably better to change xover point or use a driver that suits your chosen xover point

If it's High efficiency & sensitivity works with your other drivers, then OB might be best, you'd just have to get the baffle width right

Could use Thorsten's xbaffle.xls spreadsheet to get somewhat of an idea. I have it, but don't remember where I got the download link, and I can't seem to find one anywhere. We could work out a way for me to send it to you if you want. Otherwise, maybe someone else will post a link and/or offer something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.