Midbass J horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for dropping the thread, but the horns have grown on me and it is time to update!

It seems in every project I have a period of initial disgust which fades, sometimes gradually, sometimes all at once, to love. Many people refer to this psychological effect as "burn-in"! Anyway, after several months of playing carefully controlled burn in tracks like AC/DC, Yes, Diana Krall, mussorgsky etc. I may now evaluate:

I like em. They are sensitive as heck and not shy, which are the biggest goals that I had for them. The mouths were built quickly so I suspect much of the (little) resonance which remains is located there. Also, putting a back on the rear chamber resulted in some quite distasteful resonances as well. I really think all of my speakers from now on will be open backed.

Drums sound really nice. I own a best of rush album and these horns do justice to niel pert in a big way. Not to mention the most solid growlinist bass guitar to boot. but stand up bass is excellent too. Just nice and simply presented. They play down to eight hz instead of my calculated sixty hz but that is just about low enough to integrate well with my sub. The crossover point is about seventy hz and is pretty blameless in terms of FR. what i mean to say is there is likely a dip but it still sounds very nice.

how about some pictures? : )
The system from the sweet seat. For now, B&W monitors from 300hz up.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

side ish view showing the expansion a little bit
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the FR. Nobody likes hubris but i am stoked to see them measure as close to the predicted response as they did.

And just to be thorough : )

I took the measurements on my apartment balcony facing into the air, so perhaps room gain will slow the low end rolloff. Needless to say, the interest from far away passersby speaks to their sensitivity! I can't imagine giving them their rated 250 watts at 200hz : )

As you can see I have paid no attention to time alignment of any part of the system. This is probably to the great detriment of the purest sound but hey, i own a pair of frugel horns too so if i need a sublime-female-vocals fix i can get that too. I use 24db/octave slopes and the design goals have been low distortion and high power handling. This makes for a highly engaging but at the same time disappointing system. It just doesn't sound loud until you must scream to your couch mate!

Please ask questions and i will post more about my midrange and tweeter solutions.

By the way, that conically loaded alpha six graph looks a little jagged. How does it sound? I plan on doing this right with an annular phase plug and well designed throat. The round driver firing into a rectangular slot seems to work for midbass but for midrange... Also, I think I will use an oblate spheroid transition to the conical horn.

Thanks

I am about to embark on the next phase of my project. I intend on using an eminence alpha six as a midrange and loading it onto an OS waveguide. I want to design some sort of phase plug to extend the high frequency as high as possible. This will provide a large uninterrupted midrange source as well as further relieving the tweeter of low frequency power. I have not decided yet what to use as a tweeter. I am basically trying to decide between trying to match the high sensitivity of the rest of the system with a compression driver or use a more traditional approach such as a dome or ribbon. The compression driver worries me because of their dwindling high frequency response. On the other hand having a compression tweeter will allow the use of a waveguide to match the dispersion of the midrange.

What thoughts have you?
Thanks

tade said:
I am about to embark on the next phase of my project. I intend on using an eminence alpha six as a midrange and loading it onto an OS waveguide. I want to design some sort of phase plug to extend the high frequency as high as possible. This will provide a large uninterrupted midrange source as well as further relieving the tweeter of low frequency power. I have not decided yet what to use as a tweeter. I am basically trying to decide between trying to match the high sensitivity of the rest of the system with a compression driver or use a more traditional approach such as a dome or ribbon. The compression driver worries me because of their dwindling high frequency response. On the other hand having a compression tweeter will allow the use of a waveguide to match the dispersion of the midrange.

What thoughts have you?
Thanks

Have you gone any further with this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.