Midbass Conical Horn - Keele vs Hornsresp which is the better FR?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RobWells said:
The 9" square throat in the Edgar 80Hz........

What can I say? Someone who claimed to have a BE horn designed for the 515 gave me the dims for the basic horn, but not the rear chamber VB IIRC, though can't remember who it was or even if it was in a PM or posted on a forum to go try and find it.

I also have dims for a smaller throat BE horn, which is slightly larger than 9" square, but was under the impression it was designed for an EV driver.

Regardless, short of measuring the new 515's FR and reverse engineering the ideal horn roll off to sum them flat I'm sticking to recommending using its designer's horn basics since if nothing else it will have the most 'open' sound in theory. Indeed, I thought I would be taking a huge step backwards when I was forced to sell my 210s only to find out that the same dual drivers in large, low tuned EBS alignments in the same corners sounded far more 'open'/'real' overall and the efficiency loss didn't have any real impact on the dynamics beyond any system noise being less loud during quiet passages, so an unexpected win-win situation for me. Not to mention I could 'make do' with no sub system even with pipe organ symphonies.

GM

Yep the horn I've been talking about is designed for the EV15L (I use a pair in my 80Hz horns). A friend who has a pair of the real Edgar 80Hz horns has confirmed the throat size. I recall some posts on AA giving different rear chamber sizes for various drivers, but don't remember seeing a different throat size.

edit: looks like you're talking about an Edgar horn I've not come across yet..

Rob.

GM said:

You're welcome!

Yeah, so? As I said, you're only interested in the horn's response as a guide, not the cab's bass response. Nor are you interested in the driver's response since you're buying essentially Altec NOS replacement drivers that are optimized for Altec horns and why you should use their throat geometry as a basis for any horn + driver response width BW app IMO.

When I was searching yesterday I can across an illustration that I think has helped my understand your explanation. Basically it said that the high end roll off of the horn is determined by the throat area. And you're saying that if I use the same throat area as Altec used (129"^2), then by default, the horns rolloff should complement the direct radiator response.

Or in other words, the only parameter that'll effect the FR where the horn is rolling off and the direct radiator gaining is throat area.

RobWells said:
Right now the forum won't let me upload any pics but I've just put together a pic showing my JBL 2020H's response from JBL, the hornresp model and the final groundplane measurement.

It should give an idea of how to interpret the graphs. Will try and post tomorrow.

Rob.

Thanks for the input Rob. Hopefully I "get it now" with respect to how the horn, throat area and direct radiators response interact. But if you still feel like posting up those graphs I'd be interested to see them. :)

OK, if you look at published FR plots you'll see that the 515 begins its rising on axis around 700 Hz while the EV's is around 1 kHz, hence the need for a smaller throat, ergo longer axial length to get to the same mouth area, all else being equal.

GM

JBL2020H 80Hz horn. This thread has enlightened me about the throat sizes so if I made it again I'd look into matching the driver to the horn better...

Attachments

• jblhorn.jpg
    jblhorn.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 515
Thanks guys for the info and FR graphs. I've spent the last two days building (and still have one or two more days to go) so when I finish I'll post up a proper reply to your posts. The wife and I have just had a little Girl and I've been neglecting family time.

BTW the horn is 83cm long, throat is 28.8x28.8cm (129 square inches) and the mouth is 3515cm^2. Vb is around 45l (accounting for the 5l displaced by the driver).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.