Mid-Tweet x-over point for a 3-way design?

I keep coming back to this monster:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1824798165.html

$360 for two of them shipped to me here in Mexico. Horn loaded (105db sensitivity), easily crossed over at 1200 and a very respectable response (if the graph can be believed).

Seriously thinking of taking the chance on this and reporting back for those who may be interested. This looks like a very capable driver for pro-audio applications.

Availability of the Bliesma T34A-4 (especially here in Mexico) is not good. Most sites show it out of stock.

The Dayton AMTPRO-4 seems known to be less-than-stellar FR-wise and falls short around 18k.
Maybe you would have to listen to them.
Ribbon/ AMT have wonderful clarity at certain SPL
then distortion climbs under high power.
But done right, sound pretty darn good.

Trick is impedance curves are misleading
because they can be rather flat and bandwidth not as predictable
and distortion plots often align to the second slight bump

So they might cross well at 2000 Hz with 3rd order or higher.
But looking at the highest bump in impedance.
They could be similar to many AMT this size which equals
5000 Hz minimum on 2nd or 3rd order

Even GRS and Daytons sound better than peoples guessing game.
Because it is all based on the prices. Not listening.
They work well for high senstivity home listening.
At extreme SPL id expect the same threshold of sound
when a lot of power shows up.
Mainly no different than clicks and clacks from normal
Horn drivers.
Dynamic range of live music can hit them and crakle a bit.
But many cross to low. the trick is being way above resonance
with high order filters.

China has their good, bad and ugly. This is their exceptional stuff.

I am not sure David Louis knock-offs would qualify. Looks like he migrated from eBay.
The thing is you can get good quality dome tweeters from other reputable manufacturers and still be within the budget.

Or am I completely mis-calculating things?

You did not specify woofers and mids. It makes more sense to deploy a horn type tweeter, something more robust.

I agree with WhiteDragon……for a couple of reasons…..but there’s clearly a problem

1st……there’s really no driver out there that is both small enough to not create destructive lobing or robust enough to cross as low as you intend here…….the high power MTM simply doesn’t work by design.

I suppose you already have your dual 6” midwoofers………i would have chosen a single 8” midwoofer instead but we can work with what you have.

So a TMM top section……..that’s a problem for seated ear height listening in typical use……on the same ground plane with stacked 15” woofer and mids……minimum tweeter height is going to be 45”.

Honestly, I don’t see a good reason for the dual mids………I’d scratch one and just build it as a WWMT. Use the ScansSpeak clone tweeter and cross higher for sure.

Dual 15’s stacked…….that bottom woofer will have quite the distance to the single mid. I’d build this as a Hybrid and add an inductor/coil to the lower woofer to create a 1st order low pass filter around 150hz…..let the top 15” woofer carry the load up to the mid crossover point on its own….less lobing and no BSC required for the bass section. Cross the woofer to the mid in the 500hz region….i agree with WD here….15’s are pure magic as midbass and the tactile slam is worth it.

The only negative i can see here is 2 spare 6” midwoofers……..you can build something else with those so not really a negative but a net positive in my opinion. The dome tweeter is still the power bottleneck…..a well made 6” pro mid crossed above 400hz will play cleaner and louder than most can endure……..but if you need that SPL, you have options to go with a different tweeter to keep up. A single robust EMT or a 1” compression driver in a small waveguide will keep the SPLs going with the other drivers you’ve chosen.…..but for over sound quality without fatigue if we’re NOT talking SPL average excess of 100db?…….I’d stick with the dome

Now the average SPL thing is a whole nother topic and dynamic range of content NEEDS to be considered. If you’re a classical music enthusiast, with a DR of in some cases 20db…….I’d ditch the dome tweeter…..it’s simply not going to handle what the other drivers can do……and given my many years of use case study, give someone a pair of 15’s and they’re gonna use em to their capability. If classical is your thing…start looking at a more robust HF transducer.

Last edited: