• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microwave + Computer = Tube? [help!]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay i went around my neighborhood, and i found a microwave, and 2 computer power supplys, so i have

1 600w (?) transformer
1 125w power supply
1 250W powersupply

thats 975 Watts. im trying to build a 2400W tube, but im guessing 975 is enough for now. well i didnt know the power supply didnt have a tarnsformer, so i figure i could use it as-is, but is there any way i could connect the p4 connectors and the molex connectors on the power supplys w\ the transformer from the microwave and build a tube? Now i know what you're thinking... i could kill my self with a serious zap. but i will take the necessary precautions and buy some heavy duty electrical gloves and test it elsewhere =], w\ a 6plug circut breaker (or what ever you call those things ofcourse) so please help me out here, is it possible?

inhale said:
okay i went around my neighborhood, and i found a microwave, and 2 computer power supplys, so i have

1 600w (?) transformer
1 125w power supply
1 250W powersupply

thats 975 Watts. im trying to build a 2400W tube, but im guessing 975 is enough for now. well i didnt know the power supply didnt have a tarnsformer, so i figure i could use it as-is, but is there any way i could connect the p4 connectors and the molex connectors on the power supplys w\ the transformer from the microwave and build a tube? Now i know what you're thinking... i could kill my self with a serious zap. but i will take the necessary precautions and buy some heavy duty electrical gloves and test it elsewhere =], w\ a 6plug circut breaker (or what ever you call those things ofcourse) so please help me out here, is it possible?

Now you just need a ignition coil from a 1970 ford pinto and a couple blue Xmas lights , The kind with screw bases
:D

Why not use Fets - which could be made to work up to 2000W without to much trouble. At this sort of power you are very unlikely to be able to hear the benefits of tubes - because your ears will be bleeding to badly. I can only assume that you need this much power for some type of PA use, in which case tubes are the wrong way to go.
My Tube amp plays painfully loud at 10W per channel - the secret is I have decent speakers !!!!

Shoog

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your enthusiasm is priceless, but you need a least a few fundamentals like a schematic, a purpose and a basic knowledge of electronics.
Don’t confuse input power (975 Watt) with output power (Watt’s going to your speakers).
And promise us you’ll be careful.
No... gloves are not enough.

/Hugo :)

i cant afford much, but a oil capacator is 10$? but thres 3 ac/s around i figure i could use that (or maybe i cant, but from what i heard its either the tubes or the capacitor that stops the electricty from flashing back and causing the circut breaker to clip :D). i just need the blue prints. or i could dumpster dive and sell on ebay and turn rich and never look back at diyaudio.com with their lies and lies about you and your fanatics. :bawling: :bawling: and he dared say dumpster dive, what about vintage ebay items :smash:

yes, i know. how do i build a overload protector? :xeye:
from what i know preamps dont seem to have that.
is there a difference between a oil capacitor and a regular capacitor?
i mean the input power is different from the output but i'll still need the transformers to beable to reach that wattage. and exactly what are fets? i mean the transfomer is from a sharp R-3a88 should be around 600W and the bits of power supplys should add up if i connect all the p4 & molex to 125W but im not sure if the power supplys would flash back and explode. either that or i'd need lots of capacitors... im not quite shure right now.

Start with something about 30V off the secondaries, get that working and then think again. Your first project inevitably has many (expensive) disasters, some dangerous, some not.

When dealing with 1000V+ a single dangerous distaster will turn you to toast. There are also many issues of arcing where the voltage just wanders around looking for an easy path to earth (that path will be you).

Its your life and your death - make your own decision but don't ask anyone else to help you kill yourself.

Shoog

Dont forget the Cap in the Microwave......

These things look SO innocent, but are deadly! Many an enginner has had a VERY nasty surprise and some have died as a result of this cap remaining charged at some voltage approaching 2000V--At 1-2uf, Thats a LOT of energy! (often the parralell resistor integral with the cap goes open.................)

1200V at 500mA, from a microwave Tx can fry you, your neighbour and the whole household if done correctly...................!

I would advise Inhale to get a GOOD understanding of electronics, designing with batteries and transistors before going anywere near a tube amp!

Even a simple low wattage SE amp or even a pre-amp is deadly to the unwary!

Inhale--Please be CAREFUL, Its not only yourself you may kill, The voltages and currents employed in Tube equipment is Deadly, and a poorly designed amp is like a car with no brakes heading downhill........................:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.