• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Microphonics...........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone managed to 'cure' the apparent inherent Microphonics in Nuvistors? I have several NOS in different makes, but the GE ones seem the best, while RCA are Pants! Tung-Sol a close second to the GE

My SE breadboard used a Nuvistor 6CW4, in the front end Mu stage, but I had to dump it in favour of an ECC 91 strapped out.

I feel something in the sound has been lost, but cant say exactly what.

It still sounds real good though.............

Be nice to go back to the 6CW4, if I could just cure that one fault. It sounds very transparent and with great presence with the Nuvistor.
Even thought of fitting it in a lead-lined box, but gave that up as a bad joke!:smash:

Alastair E said:

I feel something in the sound has been lost, but cant say exactly what.

The "piiiiiiiiiiiing."

Nuvistors sing. Suspension is everything if you're determined to use them in a transparent circuit. If you like the coloration that the microphonics give, and there's nothing wrong with that, this is an opportunity to tune the sound with various bits of rubber, wood, metal, and putty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.