MICROMEGA Drive 3 & DAC Faulty & MODS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MICROMEGA Drive 3 & DAC Faulty & MODS

Hi,
I have a Micromega Drive 3 and DAC.

The Drive is playing up with the usual disc problem.:smash:

It had the mechanism replaced by Micromega but now gets stuck when trying to open, I have used my finger nail to help it at times, any suggestions welcome.

Also the DAC is totally dead, could this be an internal fuse that has blown?

Does anyone have any suggestions of upgrades :cool: that would be worthwhile doing?

Thanks

Hi there,

I take it when you say the disc is getting stuck you mean the drive face plate is getting stuck??

The cd drive probably needs to be repositioned, there are 3 screws on the base of the player to do this, 2x right at the front of the player and one big one at the rear in a triangle pattern. I find it best to remove the lid of the player to reposition the mech.

As for the DAC it just sounds like one of the fuses, if it's a DAC 1 then the fuses are inside, if it's a DAC 2 then there should be a mains fuse in a holder for IEC cord input.

Let me know how you get on.

Phasenoise

Phasenoise said:
Hi there,

I take it when you say the disc is getting stuck you mean the drive face plate is getting stuck??

The cd drive probably needs to be repositioned, there are 3 screws on the base of the player to do this, 2x right at the front of the player and one big one at the rear in a triangle pattern. I find it best to remove the lid of the player to reposition the mech.

As for the DAC it just sounds like one of the fuses, if it's a DAC 1 then the fuses are inside, if it's a DAC 2 then there should be a mains fuse in a holder for IEC cord input.

Phasenoise

Thanks for the help. I have tried repositioning the CD drive and it is definitely not obstructed now but after a while it still has problems opening. Do you think it may need regreasing or are there any belts that may need changing? I know that there have been problems with the MICROMEGA CD Drives. It's actually the 2nd one it's had.
I have not had a chance to look at the DAC yet but it is a DAC 2 with the fuse on the outside so I imagine it is just the fuse. I will let you know.
Thanks for the help, it would be a shame to not use the kit, it cost me an arm and a leg new.

Lee

Hi,
I had my cd tray stuck on my MICROMEGA MINIUM CD3 with one disc inside...
I never managed to open it, the tray neither the disc reader, but if you turn it upside down, you'll see two screws on the top of the cd tray/driver. Unscrew those two (and larger) screws, and you'll be able to open your cd tray manually.

It took me a while to find the way to unlock it, so I hope this will be helpfull to someone else.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Does the Drive 3 look like this. If so should be easily fixed, belt causes problem, tiny dab of grease needed on shaft of tray gears, and the aluminium face plate on the draw is stuck with double sided tape. It slips down and catches.

Attachments

• drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 278
Hi there,

Phasenoise

Sorry its taken a long time to get back on this one. I have moved house a couple of times and still getting strait.
I replaced the external fuse in my DAC2 and the lights come on and it goes through its test procedures, etc but I have no sound coming out of the dac2.
I have tried all the different connections and phono leads but no luck.
Any ideas?
Thanpks

Well best thing to do is to plug a known good transport / digital feed in to an input, select that input on the front panel. If it locks, i.e goes solid instead of flashing then you know the input receiver is fine then that could indicate a dead output really. Should hear it click on anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.