Micro-Seiki DD-1 TT - Conversion from 220V to 110V

How to use an european Micro-Seiki DD-1 in USA

  • Move the blue wire to 100V

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Make other changes to the power supply

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use an external transformer

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put it on eBay

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Micro-Seiki DD-1 turntable I found looks good but it has an european plug and I want to use it in the US.

When I opened it, it looks like you can move the blue wire from 220V to 100V but there is no option for 110V. Can I just solder it to 100V and use it in the US or will that not work or damage it? :confused:

Hopefully the picture makes my question more clear:

I can take more pictures if needed.
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bad advice given in a post above, and the poll is not a great idea either. Connecting to the 100V tap and plugging it into U.S. mains means that the applied voltage could be 25% higher than the nominal intended mains. Usually something up to 10% high is considered acceptable. Likely the power transformer core will saturate and electrolytics on the unregulated side of the supply could be over-voltaged.

The only safe course of action is to either use a variac or a small transformer to buck the mains to around 100V. Sometimes you can fine 120V to 100V auto-transformers, that would work too.

The other option would be to purchase an appropriate replacement power transformer if you can determine the proper operating voltage, however I suspect that is a bit beyond your current skill set.

Note that all of the electrolytics should be replaced in this 40yr old turntable.
Thanks Kevin, I am trying to learn. I loaned a moving-transformer that outputs 220V and connected the turntable. Which wires should I measure to work out which replacement transformer I need? I have a multimeter at hand.

And by replacing the electrolytes you mean the three blue capacitors?
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Measure the AC voltage across the secondary of the transformer which I assume is the two red wires. Be very careful not to come in contact with the AC mains.

You might want to seek out someone who can help you do this safely.

Yes, the electrolytics are the blue capacitors you reference.
usually multi-voltage transformers are winded with thicker wire for first 110 part and thinner for second 220. if you use 100/220 terminals for feeding check transformer for overheating after 1,2,5,10 minutes. usually TT transformers are oversized due to low consumption so it may work, but dont count on that, double and triple check. and better take and post a photo at opposite board side ;)
Thanks for the replies. The thick black and blue wires come from the outlet. The two thin black wires go to the strobo light. I don't exactly know what you mean with taking a picture from the opposite side, the bottom of the print? I made some more hopefully it is now clear enough.

Full overview:

Close-up underside power supply board:


Close up of Sanyo D313D power transistor (compatible with TIP41C):
this is stabilised power supply, so you can freely move the blue wire to 100 marked pin. check if the voltage on middle size electrolyt is not exceeding rated on it, after few minutes check transformer for overheating and if everything is ok you may close the bottom and enjoy your vinyls ;)
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.