Micro Seiki BL41 - Worth Buying?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have only had my Dual 510 for 3 weeks ... I am loving it (even though it is only running through the right channel for the time being).

Today I stumbled upon a Micro Seiki BL41. It is in great condition but it does need a new stylus.

Is this worth $100? Where can one find a stylus? Would this be an upgrade from the Dual 510 - I tend to think so.

I am really loving vinyl. I have been being records both used and new releases and have been enjoying listening to them in the living room with the TV OFF ... such a nice change.

Listening to the new Joel Plaskett 3 LP album - I highly recommend it

SDB

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At the time Micro Seiki made lots of turntables
I believe even their cheaper models were ok

Their best belt driven models were exstremely high quality
Almost got hold of the top model, but someone else got there first, still pains me a lot :bawling:

100USD is not much, if its in good condition
If in very good condition it could be worth rebuilding

I once bought a cheap turntable, where the seller promised me very good condition
Couldnt use it, it was abused and completely worthless and I could do nothing but throw it out as scrapped metal parts

Your Dual may be fine too
Pickup and preamp is very important too

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• microseiki-bl-41.jpg
    microseiki-bl-41.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 210
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sbolduc said:
This is a dumb question - I am new.

Will a grado red cartridge also fit on my Dual 510?

As long as it came with the generic headshell clip... some of those came with a factory Ortophon that used a very cartridge specific clip... getting a proper clip for those costs more than the TT is worth (i have 2 that are currently marooned due to that problem).

dave

er "Get ye a Grado!"

as Dave suggests, get a Grado. I am very Grado-centric and never question that part of the audio chain, except of course, a bigger dog in the Grado line...

I have to believe any respectable table (whether DD or belt drive) is worth $100, but there may be more cost effective rtables out there to consider; Some higher end Yamahas, typical Thorens TD150, 160 and variants, etc.

Currently I am a little enamoured with DD tables and the possibility of belt drive to DD conversions (maybe a LP12 or some other wretch; )..er I guess that would be a belt drive to Idler conversion...

You may also stumble upon some old AR tables, with a little work can be massaged into something quite magical

I guess no Empire 208 for me for my Bday...sniff, sniff....

stew

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Re: er "Get ye a Grado!"

Originally posted by Nanook

You may also stumble upon some old AR tables

with a little work can be massaged into something quite magical

stew [/B]

I had an AR, but changed to a fancy DD Pioneer, boy what a mistake

I should really have kept that AR

The Pioneer was completely modified, and only motor/turntable/supply survived, but that a different story

But the small AR is a sweet memory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.